Summary

fmserverd (Not Responding)

Product

FileMaker Server

Version

Operating system version

OSX10.9

Description of the issue

Every 3 to 8 days, Apple's Activity Monitor shows this Process turning red: fmserverd (Not Responding).  Shutting down all the clients causes the Process to return to its normal black type.  I've noticed aberrant behavior of our POS system which is a 40 relationally connected FM db's, and then I check, and find that fmserverd has turned red.

I should add that I consistently notice the Memory Used figure (as reported by Activity Monitor) increases from around 6 gigs on start up of FMS to 8 then past 10 gigs, then it may drop; then it may migrates at times past 11 to as high as 11.5 gigs

Configuration information

running client version of OS10.9.4 on a current generation of Mac mini, 2.3 ghz core i7 with 12 gigs of ram.  I have 750 megs assigned to the cache.

Don't have any other apps running other than FMS

Workaround

well, I shut down the client machines. and routinely do a Mac reboot.

• 1. Re: fmserverd (Not Responding)
          TSGal

dale:

Thank you for your post.

On first reading, it sounds like FileMaker Server is not responding, but then you mention you need to shut down all the clients, and then FileMaker Server returns to normal.  Is this without touching FileMaker Server?

In your "Workaround", you mention you "... routinely do a Mac reboot".  Is this the reboot of the FileMaker Server machine or the clients?

Is there anything in the logs that give any indication of why FileMaker Server becomes unresponsive?  What is the last entry in the Event log before FileMaker Server becomes unresponsive?

Are all clients connecting to FileMaker Server via FileMaker Pro?  Or, are some connecting via WebDirect and/or Custom Web Publishing?

TSGal
               FileMaker, Inc.

• 2. Re: fmserverd (Not Responding)
            dale_1

Dear TSGal,

to your first question, I've always been shutting down all the client Mac's via the Admin Console, and at that point the red flagging goes away. I've simply always done it this way.  never thought to go machine by machine.

my reboot is of the Mac, but this after closing the clients' connections; then FMS.

The event log is attached for the last day that I saw the issue. 

all the Macs are on the LAN.  all running OSX 10.8.5 (well except for the FMS Mac is running OSX10.9.4).  we are Not using OSX Server.  and all clients are using FM12.

• 3. Re: fmserverd (Not Responding)
              TSGal

dale:

Thank you for the additional information.

The Event log only shows the backup of the database files.

If you close down the client connections and the "red flagging" goes away, are clients then able to connect?  I'm trying to understand why you need to reboot the Mac.

Do you notice the approximate time frame when the "red flagging" occurs?  That is, do you notice it when you first arrive in the morning (which means it happened overnight)?  Is it running fine in the morning but then the red flagging appears in the afternoon?

Any other information you can provide may be helpful.

TSGal
                   FileMaker, Inc.

• 4. Re: fmserverd (Not Responding)
                honeycomb

Any update on this? Experiencing fmserverd not responding as well. Running FMS 13.0.4.400 on OS X 10.9.5.

• 5. Re: fmserverd (Not Responding)
                  TSGal

Landon Porter:

The original poster has not replied to the last few questions so there is no update.

How many clients are connecting?  What type of machines are the clients using?  Are any of your files set up for Web Direct?  Custom Web Publishing?  What information appears in the log files (mainly event and access) at the time the server becomes unresponsive?

Any other information you can provide may be helpful.

TSGal
                  FileMaker, Inc.

• 6. Re: fmserverd (Not Responding)
                    honeycomb

TSGal,

50-60 clients typically are connected concurrently. All are connected via the LAN and most are running current version of OS X. There are a few Windows clients. All are up to date on FMP. This solution is not set up for Web Direct or Custom Web Publishing.

I don't know exactly what time the issues started to appear, but I have reviewed the log within the fms admin console, and I noticed warning 768 that a backup of the file was inconsistent. This error showed up at the 0900 backup schedule. Backups at 0700 and 0800 were fine. All backups since 0900 have had the same warning. However, in all cases, there is event 460, that the backups completed. So, I don't know if there is an issue or not. I am running a consistency check now on the most recent backup.

• 7. Re: fmserverd (Not Responding)
                      TSGal

Landon Porter:

Thank you for the information.

Warning 768 is a backup error message showing inconsistency with a remote container file.

Informational 460 is normal after a backup completes.  That will always display when a backup completes.

Since there was no warning at 0800 but a warning at 0900, do you know what occurred between 0800 and 0900?  If FileMaker Server is stopped and restarted, are clients then able to access the hosted files?

TSGal
                      FileMaker, Inc.

• 8. Re: fmserverd (Not Responding)
                        honeycomb

TSGal,

Oddly enough users can connect and do work (for the most part) without restarting fm server. Looking through the logs, nothing unusual occurred between 0800 and 0900 other than more people showing up to work and connecting to the db. We do have a process to convert PDF's to JPG's that uses a server side script, which is used a lot during the day. A few days ago, which is the first time I discovered that the fmserverd process was not responding, users noted that they were getting errors running the PDF to JPG process . . . Something along the lines of "Container fields cannot be exported." This is when I checked the activity monitor and noticed the issue with fmserverd. Restarting the server fixed the issue. One other issue was with running a process that relied on queries on unstored calcs. The query gave incorrect results. This was also resolved after restarting. I don't know if the unstored calc. issue is related to "fmserverd not responding" or not, because I posted on the issue months ago and didn't have the "not responding" issue then (I have discovered that the issue with queries on unstored calcs affects all files on the install of fm server once it happens).

By the way, the consistency check just finished and no issues were found.