7 Replies Latest reply on Feb 18, 2014 8:40 AM by TSGal

FMSever13 - Windows - System Level Scripts will 'abort' if run under a local user account

cjcj01

Summary

FMSever13 - Windows - System Level Scripts will 'abort' if run under a local user account

Product

FileMaker Server

Version

Operating system version

Windows Server 2012

Steps to reproduce the problem

1) Create a .bat file e.g. test.bat with one command e.g. Echo test & Exit
      2) Save test.bat to Filemaker Server/data/scripts
      3) Set up a new scheduled system level script
      4) Select test.bat from the drop down menu
      5a) First try to run this without selecting 'user a user account rather than the default account'
      5b) Second try the same scheduled script but choosing a 'user account rather than the default account' e.g. the local administrator account
      6) Run the script

Expected result

Runs with the result: OK

Actual result

If you follow path 5a - all is good, result: OK

If you follow path 5b - result: Aborts Unexpectedly

Exact text of any error message(s) that appear

Error 154 TF_FMS2 Schedule "Batch Again" aborted; "test.bat" could not be found or is invalid

This is an incorrect message which is poorly described and implemented:
      1) test.bat can be found, it has just been selected in the drop down menu
      2) test.bat is not invalid, it has correct syntax and it has just run under the default account

If anything, this is a permissions issue, not that it cannot be found or is invalid.

But I think that this is a bug in FMS13 as no script can now be run under any local user account including the administrator.

Configuration information

None - this is a standard Windows 2012 server with only FMS13 running all services. No additional configuration.

This has also been tested on a Windows 7 machine with the same result.

See technet discussion:
      https://fmdev.filemaker.com/message/138419

Workaround

There are no workarounds, other than to use the OS level Task Scheduler to run the system level script, but this disconnects control from combining functionality of FM and System level scripts.

Screen_Shot_2014-02-10_at_12.34.40.png

• 1. Re: FMSever13 - Windows - System Level Scripts will 'abort' if run under a local user account
          TSGal

cjcj01:

Thank you for your post and accompanying link.  I have sent your post, along with the TechNet information, to our Development and Testing departments for review.  When I receive any feedback, I will let you know.

TSGal
               FileMaker, Inc.

• 2. Re: FMSever13 - Windows - System Level Scripts will 'abort' if run under a local user account
            cjcj01

Thanks so much TSGal, I appreciate your quick response and for forwarding it on.  Look forward to finding out if there is a fix.

• 3. Re: FMSever13 - Windows - System Level Scripts will 'abort' if run under a local user account
              TSGal

cjcj01:

According to a tester, the reason for the 154 error (could not be found or is invalid) is based on not using the proper naming conventions needed for FileMaker Server to run the script.  For the proper OS credentials, see the Microsoft TechNet article:

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms189964.aspx

In the example, the script is being run with an associated password.  To run the schedule as either a local user or domain account, it needs to be specified as:

Local Machine account Example -> ".\<user name>"
                   Local Machine account Exmaple -> "<computer name>\<user name>
                   Domain Account Example -> "<domain name>\<user name>

Also note that unless the FileMaker Server service is actually running as a user, the actual file or script will always run as "nt authority/system".  (Under Mac OS X, it will not function with any account other than the local account.)

Let me know if you need additional clarification.

TSGal
                   FileMaker, Inc.

• 4. Re: FMSever13 - Windows - System Level Scripts will 'abort' if run under a local user account
                cjcj01

Hi TSGal.

Wow thanks for getting back to me.  I can't believe all I needed was just .\ before the username.  I had read the documentation and had tried computer name\username but couldn't get that working.  However perhaps I was using the wrong / slash \.

I can confirm that when using the .\ notation that the script now runs.  Thank you.

A few things that would help from the user perspective here:

1) It would be really useful to have the .\ example above in the Server help file or as a note on the Server admin panel.  It mentions the computer name\username but not the .\  this was very simple and could have saved hours of troubleshooting.

2) The Server admin panel is missing the button to 'validate' the account.  

3) It would be useful if FMS reported the error as - invalid account credentials - rather than saying the script is invalid or not found.  

I did also have one point of clarification please...

If you use a <domain name>\<user name>, (which I understand I would need to do from the link you provided, in order to copy a file to a server\share in the system-level script) do I also need to run the Filemaker Server service as this domain user?  (your last point) or would running the script from a  domain account be enough?

It was just this last point ref 'nt authority/system' that seems to contradict the ability to run the script as any user using one of the three examples above it. Does that make sense?

Thanks again for all your help.

• 5. Re: FMSever13 - Windows - System Level Scripts will 'abort' if run under a local user account
                  TSGal

cjcj01:

Your comments for #1 and #3 have been sent to our Documentation department for review.  For #2, I recommend that you enter this into our Feature Requests web form at:

http://www.filemaker.com/company/contact/feature_request.html

The entry into this web form automatically populates a database file that is hosted and monitored by Product Management and Development.  Each entry is discussed and considered for possible implementation in a future release.  Although I could copy your suggestion and paste it into the web form, there are a couple of questions asked that only you can answer.

TSGal
                       FileMaker, Inc.

• 6. Re: FMSever13 - Windows - System Level Scripts will 'abort' if run under a local user account
                    TSGal

cjcj01:

My apologies.  #3 should also be entered into the Feature Requests web form as it is considered a change in design.

TSGal
                         FileMaker, Inc.

• 7. Re: FMSever13 - Windows - System Level Scripts will 'abort' if run under a local user account
                      TSGal

cjcj01:

My apologies again.  #3 has been submitted to Development and Testing departments as an issue for review.  When more information becomes available, I will let you know.

TSGal
                           FileMaker, Inc.