Summary

Fonts aren't printing correclty

Product

FileMaker Pro

Version

Operating system version

Windows 7 Professional

Description of the issue

We have 3 users on a network using FileMaker Pro 11.  One user is on a Mac and has no issues using FMP 11, including printing. 

The other 2 users, who are on Windows 7 Pro, are experiencing an issue where the fonts do not display correct when printing from FMP 11.  The printer is a Konica Minolta c353.  I have tried connecting to the printer through the server share (how users normally connect), and I have tried connecting directly via TCP/IP printer port.  I have tried the updated drivers from Konica Minolta for both PS and PCL, but the results are the same.

The page will print, but with a generic font rather than the font used to create the template.  Also, they aren't having any issues printing fonts through any other application.

This is the only printer they have for printing from FMP. 

Thanks in advance for the help.

Steps to reproduce the problem

I can reproduce this every time I try to print from one of the Windows 7 machines using FMP.

Expected result

It should print the correct font.

Actual result

It prints a generic font instead each time.

Exact text of any error message(s) that appear

No error messages during this process.

Workaround

Currently, the owner of the company is forced to print from his Mac to the same printer, but these tasks need to be handled by his employees, not by him.

• 1. Re: Fonts aren't printing correclty
          TSGal

John Chiofolo:

Thank you for your post, and I apologize for the late reply.

What fonts are being used on the layout?  Is this happening with only one file?  That is, if you create a new database file, use Arial font and print, does it work correctly?  If you then change to the desired font, does it print correctly?

TSGal
          FileMaker, Inc.

• 2. Re: Fonts aren't printing correclty
            philmodjunk

If you enter preview mode, do you see the correct fonts?

This may help rule out possible cross platform differences in how fonts are displayed.

• 3. Re: Fonts aren't printing correclty
              JohnChiofolo

I couldn't find a permanent way to resolve this quickly on all templates, but after tinkering with it, I found that once  we changed the fonts and saved the changes, then it would print out with the correct font.  It's going to be tedious part on the end users who deal with FileMaker Pro as they have to adjust the font on every single  template they use (even if they change it to something else  and then change it back to the correct one), but at least it will print out correctly now.

I'm not sure what might have changed that prevented all  of the templates to print out with a generic font, but at least they have a work around now.

• 4. Re: Fonts aren't printing correclty
                philmodjunk

Perhaps the specified font wan't part of the list of fonts on the windows machines? There's an add/configure fonts option in the font menu when you are in layout mode that you might experiment with to see if adding a font or two resolves the issue without having to update each and every layout.