for weeks now, FM Pro 13 has been getting slower & slower, & crashing

Product

FileMaker Pro

Version

13.0 v3

Operating system version

OSX 10.9.3

Description of the issue

For unknown reasons, for weeks now, FM Pro 13 has been getting slower & slower, & crashing at random times in different data bases.

I have no idea what to check, and I've run out of ideas.

Can somebody suggest some things I could try?

Thanks

Steps to reproduce the problem

It happens frequently (the crashes) doing various things, or doing nothing (it crashes in the background while I'm doing other things) The slowing happens most of the time I use FM, for sorting, searching, ...

Expected result

Reasonable speed, for example, not 8 seconds to pull down a menu.

Not crashing several times a day. I've been using FM since V1, and have never had anything like this before.

Actual result

see above

Exact text of any error message(s) that appear

Sometimes I get a crash dump. Would that be useful to anyone?

Configuration information

Processor 2.5 GHz Intel Core i5
      Memory 4 GB 1333 MHz DDR3

I have kept FM 12 installed because sometimes I need to restore old data bases. Once I found that I had opened 12 instead of 13 (it would be nice if it would be easy to tell w/o asking). That was causing some trouble until I pulled it, but it's still in the Applications folder. Might I had damaged something in FM13?

Workaround

Patience, patience, patience.

Nothing else.

• 1. Re: for weeks now, FM Pro 13 has been getting slower & slower, & crashing
          Benjamin Fehr

Gerald:  

(it would be nice if it would be easy to tell w/o asking)

Open a squared picture like the one I've att.., use select all And copy to put into clipboard, click on the FM12 app and chose 'Get Info', click into the FM Icon and paste. That's how to alter the icon to make it look different from the FM13 icon in the dock.

- Do you see crashes and slowness with only one solution or also with others?

- in FM preferences, how much cache memory did you assign? (Standard = 128MB, I use 256MB)

- are there any large files or pictures you've loaded into some container fields?

If there are any scripts involved with that crashes, you can open file in FM 12 and use script-debugger to analyse.

• 2. Re: for weeks now, FM Pro 13 has been getting slower & slower, & crashing
            Markus Schneider

I have several versions of FM installed on my Mac. I created separate icons with large numbers (ie '11', '12', etc on the original icon) to see at least in the dock what version is currently open/starting up

Many installed versions don't affect anything here (except the problem that I have to take care that files are opening with the correct version, ie when a customer has V12..)

• 3. Re: for weeks now, FM Pro 13 has been getting slower & slower, & crashing
              nilsw

Same here. We have several crashes a day, sometimes even on startup when opening the Magage Favorites Window. We also have all recent Versions installed, Mac OS 10.8 to 10.9.

Nils

• 4. Re: for weeks now, FM Pro 13 has been getting slower & slower, & crashing
                Markus Schneider

Plugins? Check the Library-Folder as well!

The only thing that makes troubles here every now and then is this unbelievable 'right-now' forum-software..

• 5. Re: for weeks now, FM Pro 13 has been getting slower & slower, & crashing
                  TSGal

Gerald Weinberg:

Thank you for your post.

If FileMaker Pro is crashing while you are in another application, then it may not be specific to FileMaker Pro.

Yes, a crash report might be helpful.  However, the questions asked by "Benjamin Fehr" are valid.  Specifically, is this slowness happening with just a single file?  That is, do other files encounter the same slowness?  Do you have Container field objects that are large in size?  Any other information you can provide may be helpful.

Check your Inbox at the top of this page for instructions where to send the crash report.

TSGal
                       FileMaker, Inc.

• 6. Re: for weeks now, FM Pro 13 has been getting slower & slower, & crashing

>Yes, a crash report might be helpful.

I'll catch one the next time it crashes.

> However, the questions asked by "Benjamin Fehr" are valid.  Specifically, is this slowness happening with just a single file?

No, different files at different times. Even when just activating FM without specifying a file.

>Do you have Container field objects that are large in size?

No container fields at all.

>Any other information you can provide may be helpful.

I increased the cache memory to 256KB. I thought for a while it might be helping, but that may just have been a coincidence, because it still acts ultra-slow at random times.

I do suspect virtual memory. My Mac Mini has only 4GB of memory, and sometimes it seems that the more apps that are loaded, the slower FM is--but that could just be an impression. Even so, that shouidn't cause crashes, or this much slowness (I think). 

• 7. Re: for weeks now, FM Pro 13 has been getting slower & slower, & crashing

I'm not sure you'll get this: the forum has now become Japanese or Korean or Chinese, I'm not sure which.

>Specifically, is this slowness happening with just a single file?  That is, do other files encounter the same slowness?

I believe I replied to this question. No, the slowness happens in every FM file I use. At least 4 different ones so far.

>Do you have Container field objects that are large in size?

Again, I replied. I have no container fields at all. I do have one file that contains over 20,000 records, but that's not the only slow file.

>Any other information you can provide may be helpful.

It's not always slow in the same places. Sometimes, for instance, I pull down the Scripts menu and it's instantaneous. Other times, I pull down the Scripts menu and I can could 20+ seconds to bring the script into play.