7 Replies Latest reply on Apr 6, 2009 2:36 PM by philmodjunk

Formatting Bar grayed out when using Custom Menu

sq

Summary

Formatting Bar grayed out when using Custom Menu

Description of the issue

FileMaker Product(s) involved:FileMaker Pro Advanced 10.0v1 Operating System(s) involved:Mac 10.5.5 Detailed description of the issue:Formatting Bar is grayed and not clickable which prevents command option - v (paste without style) Exact steps to reproduce the issue:1.  Set Custom Menu to unaltered "Custom Menu Set 1" - all menu items that are standard included in set Expected Result:Formatting Bar should not be grayed.  command option - v (paste without style) should work Actual Result:Formatting Bar is grayed and not clickableThis in turn prevents command option - v (paste without style) Exact text of any error message(s) that appeared:N/A

• 1. Re: Formatting Bar grayed out when using Custom Menu
          TSGal

sq:

Thank you for your post.

Yes, I can duplicate the issue.  I have forwarded the information to our Development and Software Quality Assurance (Testing) departments for review.

In the mean time, add an additional menu option "Paste without Style" with the keyboard shortcut Cmd-Opt-V and executing the script step Paste Without Style.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc. 

• 2. Re: Formatting Bar grayed out when using Custom Menu
            mmjorden

I am experiencing this same issue on Windows XP Pro with FileMaker Pro Advanced 10.0v1.  Anytime there is a custom menu activated the formatting bar/status toolbar is greyed out and not usable.  Has there been any progress by the Development and Software Quality Assurance (Testing) department in solving this problem?

Thanks,

mmjorden

• 3. Re: Formatting Bar grayed out when using Custom Menu
              TSGal

All:

The latest information from Development...

"Currently, Custom Menus do not include every possible behavior of Standard Menus.  This includes special menu items that change meaning when modifier keys are held down."

Unfortunately, there is no mention if this is slated to be changed.  In the mean time, just be aware of this limitation.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

• 4. Re: Formatting Bar grayed out when using Custom Menu
                philmodjunk

mmjorden wrote:

I am experiencing this same issue on Windows XP Pro with FileMaker Pro Advanced 10.0v1.  Anytime there is a custom menu activated the formatting bar/status toolbar is greyed out and not usable.  Has there been any progress by the Development and Software Quality Assurance (Testing) department in solving this problem?

I've been experimenting with a Custom menu on Windows XP with FMP 10 adv. I haven't encountered any of the above problems. I have full access to the formatting bar in browse mode and the Paste-unformatted text option is available and it works both from the menu and by Ctrl-V. The layout is set to "custom menu 1" and has one additional custom menu.
                • 5. Re: Formatting Bar grayed out when using Custom Menu
                  mmjorden

The database that I am experiencing the problem with was created in version 8.5 and although the formatting bar is greyed out when I open the file in FM 10 it is not greyed out when opening the same file in FM 8.5.  I did not expect this to behave differently when upgrading my copy of FM.  Are there plans to have the newer version of FM behave the way older versions did in this respect?

Thanks,

mmjorden

• 6. Re: Formatting Bar grayed out when using Custom Menu
                    TSGal

PhilModJunk:

This problem only seems to occur on Mac OS X, but for the life of me, I can't duplicate it again!

mmjorden:

Thank you for your post. 

Yes, it should work the same in both FileMaker Pro 8.5 and FileMaker Pro 10.  Unfortunately, I am no longer able to reproduce the problem.  My formatting bar is only greyed out if I'm not editing a record.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc. 

• 7. Re: Formatting Bar grayed out when using Custom Menu
                      philmodjunk

TSGal wrote:

This problem only seems to occur on Mac OS X...

I agree, but mmjorden is reporting the issue with a Windows XP system. Since I am using Windows XP, it seemed germaine to report that I have no problems with custom menues at this time.

...but for the life of me, I can't duplicate it again!

Bummer! You are experiencing the ultimate troubleshooting nightmare!

mmjorden:

All I can say to your last post is that my file was originally a 5.5 file to which I added a custom menu after converting it with FMP 10 adv. Just to help report as much info as possible, if you create a brand new file and give it a custom menu, do you see the same problem? Do you have another 8.5 file with a custom menu that you can convert?