fp7 file will not open in fp11

Product

FileMaker Pro

Version

fp11

Operating system version

Mac OS X Snow Lepord

Description of the issue

After upgrading to Snow Lepord, my FP7 database would no longer run properly. So I upgraded to FP11.  One of my files opened fine in FP11, but now my other FP7 database, on an external harddrive, will not open in it.  Instead I get a message that the database was not closed properly and needs a consistency check.  It gets to Step 6 of 17 and then freezes (the program no longer responds and must be forced closed).

However, whenever I go to open the same on my other computer still running fp7, it runs without any problems. (Please note that this file is 8GB.)  Any help would be appreciated.

Expected result

File should open.

Actual result

Program eventually freezes and a force quite is required.

• 1. Re: fp7 file will not open in fp11
          philmodjunk

Different versions of filemaker will tolerate damage to the file that other versions do not and that's the most likely explanation here. Run a recover on a file and see if either a problem is reported and corrected or if the recovered file opens successfully.

Either result indicates your file was damaged, it just wasn't tripping any errror messages in filemaker 7 like it did with 11 and you should replace your damaged file with an undamaged back up if at all possible.