Frustrating subsummary bug

Product

FileMaker Pro

Version

11.0v3

Operating system version

Mac OS X 10.6.8

Description of the issue

This is a huge FileMaker bug that dates as far back as FMP 5.0. I really wish that FMI would fix this bug, because it makes it impossible for us to use FileMaker.

I have a very simple subsummary report that I'm trying to create. You can see how dead simple it is by looking at the attached screenshot of my report layout.

My body part is set to "allow part to break across page boundaries", and the ONLY FIELD that I've placed in my body part is set to "slide up based on all objects above" and "also resize enclosing part".

In theory, I should be able to make the body (field & part) as large as I want, and FileMaker will slide up the field & the part.

However, if I make the body part larger than about 300 pixels tall, suddenly the report starts randomly page breaking before some of my subsummary parts!

The first leading subsummary part  is set to page break before each occurrence, but FileMaker just decides to randomly page break on its own before random subsummaries based on the 2nd leading subsummary part. This leaves gigantic areas of emptiness on pages in the report, sometimes leaving pages of the report that are mostly emptiness.

Even when I removed page breaking altogether from the first subsummary part, FileMaker STILL page breaks randomly on its own! That's right -- even when I tell FileMaker to NOT page break ANY of the parts, FileMaker still page breaks on its own randomly and in weird locations.

However, the smaller I make the body part, the better FileMaker reacts. For example, if I make the body part only 35 pixels high, then the report acts perfectly… just like it should! As long as the body part is kept very very small, then FileMaker acts like a good citizen, with 100% accuracy.

But the thing is that I need to keep that body part large. Ideally, I need that body part to be about 800 pixels high, because I may have typed in a lot of text into that one field for a bunch of records. And as soon as I start making the body part larger, all havoc breaks loose.

Screenshot_1.png

• 1. Re: Frustrating subsummary bug
          scottworld

Here's another screenshot of my report layout... you can see how absolutely dead simple this is, but FileMaker can't handle this when the body part is this large.

• 2. Re: Frustrating subsummary bug
            TSGal

scotty321:

Thank you for your post.

This issue has been reported previously (not on this forum).  FileMaker Pro makes sure there is enough room for the actual height of the Body part to appear on the page rather than evaluating the height after sliding.  This also doesn't take into account the Leading Sub-Summary part, even if the Sub-Summary part has plenty of space to print on the remainder of the page and there is not data in the Body part.

Our Development and Testing departments are aware of this issue, as it has been known since FileMaker Pro 7.

I have attached your posts to the original report.

TSGal
            FileMaker, Inc.

• 3. Re: Frustrating subsummary bug
              TSGal

scotty321:

The only way I could get this to fail is if I set the field in the Sub-Summary part to not slide.  If I have all the fields in the Sub-Summary part set to slide up, then it appears to work.  Perhaps you could send me a copy of the database file so I can try it here.  Check your Inbox at the top of this page for instructions where to send the file.

TSGal
              FileMaker, Inc.

• 4. Re: Frustrating subsummary bug
                scottworld

No, sorry, you are incorrect. The problem happens whether or not the part is set to slide. You can even see the sliding arrow on the image in the graphic above. The fact that nobody at FileMaker even UNDERSTANDS this issue shows why this has been a problem for the last 20 years. I'll email you a copy of the database, but I would really appreciate some priority given to this bug after waiting around for it to be fixed for 20 years. I've reported this at least 10 times in the past.

• 5. Re: Frustrating subsummary bug
                  TSGal

scotty321:

I received your file.  Thank you.

I ran your first three steps to see the problem.  When I went into Layout mode, I noticed the Sub-Summary part (Report Section) was not set to Slide Up (and reduce enclosing part).  Once I did that, Preview looked correct.  

Regardless, I have sent your file to Development and Testing for additional review and comments.  When I receive additional information, I will let you know.

TSGal
                  FileMaker, Inc.

• 6. Re: Frustrating subsummary bug
                    scottworld

A-ha! Thank you! I thought you meant the "body" part being set to slide... I misunderstood you. You were talking about the second "subsummary" part being set to slide. Yes, that actually fixes the bug. :)

But... this really should be considered a bug, because we shouldn't need to set everything inside a little tiny subsummary part to slide, should we? It's so tiny already, that there's no practical need to set it to slide (except for working around this bug).

Especially if it's a larger subsummary part with more data in it, it might be impractical to set all the fields to slide (depending on the design of the layout).

In any case, this is a great workaround for now, and I greatly appreciate it!

• 7. Re: Frustrating subsummary bug
                      TSGal

scotty321:

Our Testing department has confirmed the issue and has sent your file along with their findings to Development for review.  I'll continue to keep you posted as information becomes available to me.

TSGal
                      FileMaker, Inc.

• 8. Re: Frustrating subsummary bug
                        ehall

Thank you for the explanation, TSGal.  I was also getting frustrated by this issue.  Layout parts normally slide up automatically, so it's confusing when they behave differently around a page break.  And the necesarry fix (setting all objects inside the part to slide up) doesn't seem intuitive at all.  I mean, the objects are already sliding up everywhere except when there is a page break involved, so I wouldn't have thought to enable sliding for them.

Anyway, thanks for clearing it up.  This helped me a lot.

• 9. Re: Frustrating subsummary bug
                          user15307

ehall, 

Thank you for posting. 

I have added your comments to the case, which is still being reviewed by the Development department.

TSTuatara

FileMaker, Inc.

• 10. Re: Frustrating subsummary bug
                            SLWolf

A "work around" for scotty321 and the rest of us that has no calculations, line counting, record counting, or any other such nonsense.

Steps are as follows:

1. In Part Setup, change the body part to a sub-summary part sorted by a unique value. We'll use RecordID, a serialized value for this. 

2. Add RecordID to the end of "Sort Records". (E.g. Sort Records by Job No, Date, and lastly RecordID)

3. View the report and be zen.

I'm attaching a JPEG for visual reference.

Happy FileMaking!

SLWolf

• 11. Re: Frustrating subsummary bug
                              Fred(CH)

Impressive idea.oui

Thanks a lot for sharing, SLWolf  smiley

Fred

• 12. Re: Frustrating subsummary bug
                                scottworld

This is a great idea! Thanks so much!

• 13. Re: Frustrating subsummary bug
                                  SLWolf

My pleasure. 

wink

• 14. Re: Frustrating subsummary bug
                                    MargaretCuddihee

Very Helpful SLWolf.  Saw this for the first time in FM12 and FM13 - nested subsummary caused it.  Thanks a million.

1 2 Previous Next