Summary

FTS Advance 13 (page 53)

Product

FileMaker Pro

Version

Operating system version

NA

Description of the issue

I would like to verify if figure 13 in page 53 (or page 2-27) is valid? The technician entity is not included.

• 1. Re: FTS Advance 13 (page 53)
          jameshoty

Additional feedback on page 63 (or page 2-37). I have been having this issue since this training series was announced. The issue is the highlight will show garbage on the side pane. I use Preview on Mac 10.9. In Preview, I use a lot of highlight, underline, box, text, note, bookmark, to make my reading a bit more interactive. After started reading, I realised the text that I highlight will "become" garbage character on the left-hand pane. In normal situation, it should simply show the text that I highlight. I troubleshoot but to no success. I re-download the FTS 13. Read, highlight, and the bar charter will appear again. I re-download and the problem will surface. There is no fix pattern.

This time, I search again the forum in Apple.com, and found a suggestion to highlight, copy, paste the text into a text editor. If the text appear "garbage" that explains why the highlight display that too.  

• 2. Re: FTS Advance 13 (page 53)
            jameshoty

This is the second file which contains the correct result because the text I highlight are "readable" text

• 3. Re: FTS Advance 13 (page 53)
              jameshoty

Attach showing the output of copy and paste (as I am not able to indicate on this feedback in this forum)

• 4. Re: FTS Advance 13 (page 53)
                TSGal

James Ho:

Thank you for your posts.

Figure 13 on page 53 (page 2-27) is correct.  It shows three Inspection records for a particular Aircraft.  However, I can see the confusion as what follows talks about the foreign key TechnicianID which is not shown in the Inspections records from Figure 13, nor does it include the links to the Primary key (probably also TechnicianID) in the Technician table, as we don't know if the three Inspections records relate to the same or different Technicians.

Page 63 (2-37) - From your description of using Preview, I'll assume you are using a Mac.  If you are able to paste this into TextEdit, check the font and make sure it is installed on your Mac.  Use FontBook to make sure there is only one instance of that font, and make sure it is TrueType.

Continue to keep me updated with any progress.

TSGal
                     FileMaker, Inc.

• 5. Re: FTS Advance 13 (page 53)
                  jameshoty

Hi TSGal,

Page 53 : Is it correct to say that One technician can service one and more than one inspection, and one inspection can be inspected by (at least) one or more than one technician. Hence it looks like a M-M relationship.

Page 63 : I am using Mac. Strange enough, this problem only exhibit on this PDF, not others. Attached the screen shot about the font appears on Textedit. It English > Menlo > Regular > 11. the Font Book has this font, and I check verify the font is fit to use (though I don't understand what does it mean that the font is fit to use ;-)

• 6. Re: FTS Advance 13 (page 53)
                    jameshoty

This is the attachment for font in text edit.

• 7. Re: FTS Advance 13 (page 53)
                      TSGal

James Ho:

Although not specifically stated, usually there is only one technician who would perform an inspection, so it would be a one-to-many.

I'm also running a Mac with Mac OS X 10.9.4.  I am able to copy and paste without an issue, so i'm unsure what could be the cause.  Although the only Menlo font I have installed is "Menlo Regular".  After pasting, highlight the pasted glyphs and select another font.  Does this then display correctly?

TSGal
                           FileMaker, Inc.

• 8. Re: FTS Advance 13 (page 53)
                        jameshoty

Hi TSGal,

Thanks for testing the PDF. I am "frustrated" because this is the only PDF I am having problem with. I tested it on another Mac and is having the same issue. 

To my surprise, I made a "stunning" discovery after I download the FTS again, extract it and open up the PDF. I wanted to compare. So I use page 90 (2-64), first paragraph "You can view the index ... ... ... data entry errors."

The newly download PDF show correctly when I highlight the text while the "corrupted" PDF shows the corrupted text. At this stage, I can only conclude that there is no issue at the beginning, but the problem starts after I start to edit (highlight, underline, insert text, speech bubble, draw ones, rectangle etc) the PDF. I did such editing too for other documents and they are ok. This is quite an interesting "problem"

This is the third time I am "re-installing" the FTS 13 series PDF. I have also sought help from Apple forum. I will call Apple Tech Support for further investigation.

Thanks for your time and troubleshooting.