Get ( ActiveModifierKeys ) returns incorrect result

Product

FileMaker Pro

Version

11v4

Operating system version

OS X 10.8.4

Description of the issue

When I use the function Get (ActiveModifierKeys) on one iMac (and only this one machine which is a new model) it returns "16" regardless of which key is actually pressed and even returns the value when the keyboard is disconnected. No keyboard utility software is installed on the machine (e.g. QuickKeys, etc.)

Steps to reproduce the problem

In FMPA 11v4, set the Data Viewer to the expression Get (ActiveModifierKeys). It returns "16". Hold down the Shift key (or Option or Control) and click Refresh Values and it still returns "16". Completely disconnect the keyboard so that there is no keyboard input device connected to the machine and it still returns 16.

Expected result

Should return the correct value of the active modifier key or combination of keys.

Actual result

Returns "16" every time regardless of current key (including no key).

Configuration information

This is a new model iMac running 10.8.4. All files can be closed, so it doesn't appear to be file-specific.

Workaround

None.

• 1. Re: Get ( ActiveModifierKeys ) returns incorrect result
          Fred(CH)

HI Kent,

Did you try to open the Keyboard Viewer app to test if this issue was not machine-related ?

If not, you can open the Keyboard Viewer following theses steps :

Menu > System Preferences > Keyboard panel
               Check the box Show keyboard […] in menu bar
               Open it with related special menu

Then, observe the pressed keys.

Bye, Fred

• 2. Re: Get ( ActiveModifierKeys ) returns incorrect result
            Get(3rdRockData)

Hi Fred,

That was definitely a good suggestion but it turned up nothing. Keyboard viewer shows no active key until I press one. 

I believe this strongly points to being a FM bug for the following reasons:

1.           Pressing other keys should change the value returned, i.e. if command were "stuck", pressing shift should result in "17" (16 + 1)
            3.           If command actually were active, pressing the "n" key would result in a new record/file/ whatever in any program that uses that key combo to create something new.
            5.           Pressing command in Keyboard viewer shows that key as active, releasing it shows it as inactive, just as expected

Has this issue ever been reported to FMI by anyone else?

Thanks,

-Kent

• 3. Re: Get ( ActiveModifierKeys ) returns incorrect result
              Fred(CH)

Hi Kent,

Very strange indeed !

But if there is a bug at the function level, why only with this computer ?

Is the  Get(TriggerModifierKeys) also affected ?

If i were you, in this very special case, i will try these (even it seems unlogical) :

•           Restart the computer.
              •      
              •           If not resolved, connect another keyboard on it.
              •      
              •           If not resolved, installing all system updates (incl. internal hardware program) if availables.
              •      
              •           If not resolved, reinstall FileMaker 11.

Good luck,
                   Fred
              • 4. Re: Get ( ActiveModifierKeys ) returns incorrect result
                Get(3rdRockData)

Hi Fred,

Rebooting the machine made the behavior normal. I did not test with Get(TriggerModifierKeys) before the restart, so I don't know if that function was affected also. I'm going to keep an eye on this and I'll post back here if it crops up again.

Back to my question in a previous post though ... has this ever been reported by anyone to FMI before? I realize this is an especially tough one to troubleshoot since it only occurred on one specific machine and was remedied by a reboot, but if others have experienced this also it might lead to revealing a pattern of the root cause.

Thanks,

-Kent

• 5. Re: Get ( ActiveModifierKeys ) returns incorrect result
                  nilsw

Hi Kent,

do you use OutBank on this machine? When I hide OutBank with cmd-H it locks itself and FileMaker keeps the cmd key stated as pressed. I guess, by locking, OutBank somehow never releases the cmd key. If I unlock it again or quit OutBank, the modifier keys are 0 again.

It's still a FileMaker issue: If FM is running in the background, it still responds on pressed modifier keys. So if you for instance have a batch script that pauses on any pressed modifier key, you can go to another app, type something like THIS and FileMaker pauses the script because of the involved shift key. This should definitively work only if FileMaker has focus.

Nils

• 6. Re: Get ( ActiveModifierKeys ) returns incorrect result
                    Get(3rdRockData)

Hi Nils,

No, I don't use OutBank. But the scenario you described about FileMaker responding to keys when it doesn't have focus is interesting and good to know.

Thanks for the info!

-Kent

• 7. Re: Get ( ActiveModifierKeys ) returns incorrect result
                      philmodjunk

The issue with keystrokes tripping triggers in FileMaker when it is running in the background is a known issue and has been around for a while:

For More Information see:     SHIFT to open file with password promtp, when importing

This is one of many acknowledged bugs that can be found in the Known Bug List thread here in the Report an Issue section of the forum.

It can also be downloaded as a database file from:    https://www.dropbox.com/s/jt09b82i0xijbu3/FMP%20Bugs.zip