4 Replies Latest reply on Feb 23, 2011 2:10 PM by TSGal

Get ( CurrentHostTimeStamp ) returns... text!

fabricen

Summary

Get ( CurrentHostTimeStamp ) returns... text!

Product

FileMaker Pro

Version

Operating system version

OS X - 10.6

Description of the issue

If the host is set up with a 12 hour clock time (AM/PM) and the client has a 24 hour clock time, the result of Get ( CurrentHostTimeStamp ) is text.

Steps to reproduce the problem

- set up the host and client with appropriate time settings
      - create a file with a timestamp field and a script that declares a variable with Get ( CurrentHostTimeStamp ) and sets the field to the variable.

ooops... it fails.

Expected result

Get ( CurrentHostTimeStamp ) should return a timestamp in any case.

Workaround

use GetAsTimeStamp ( Get ( CurrentHostTimeStamp ))

• 1. Re: Get ( CurrentHostTimeStamp ) returns... text!
          TSGal

FabriceN:

Thank you for your post.

I am unable to reproduce the problem.  Here is what I have done.

1. With FileMaker Pro 11.0v2, I created a database file with a Timestamp field and added one blank record.

2. I turned on Network Sharing, and my system clock is set for 12 hour.

3. I created a script, Timestamp, with the script steps:

Set Variable [ $ts ; Get ( CurrentHostTimeStamp ) ]
          Set Field [ Timestamp ; $ts ]

4. I placed a button on the layout to execute the script.

5. On the host machine, I pressed the button.  The Timestamp shows correctly.

6. On a guest machine, I set the time settings to 24 hour clock.

7. I launched FileMaker Pro 11.0v2, selected Open Remote, and selected the hosted file.

8. I added a new record, pressed the button, and the Timestamp field updates properly.

Both machines are running FileMaker Pro 11.0v2 Advanced on Mac OS X 10.6.6.

Let me know what I'm doing differently than you, and I'll try to replicate the problem.

TSGal
          FileMaker, Inc.

• 2. Re: Get ( CurrentHostTimeStamp ) returns... text!
            fabricen

Hi TS :)

my understanding is that the way FMS returns a timestamp depends on the language setting of the OS at installation time (not sure), and the locales of a files depend on the platform setting at creation time (silly, but true).

So my situation was :

FMS installed on a English OS (but with european date format (DD/MM/YYYY). 12 hour clock. So the returned timestamp looks like DD/MM/YYYY 6AM

a "French" file with 24 hour clock.

a 24 hour clock on the client OS (language setting has no impact, and probably neither the clock. Probably the file locales are causing the issue.)

my script was doing :

Set variable [ $ts ; Get ( CurrentHostTimeStamp ) ]

Set variable [ $date ; GetAsDate ( $ts ) ]

as a result $date was empty. (or ?, can't remember, but I think empty)

If I change the first line to : Set variable [ $ts ; GetAsTimeStamp ( Get ( CurrentHostTimeStamp )) ] it works all right.

Hope this helps

• 3. Re: Get ( CurrentHostTimeStamp ) returns... text!
              TSGal

FabriceN:

Thanks for the additional information.

Yes, currently, the timestamp depends on the language setting of the OS at time of creation.   I have submitted your posts to our Development and Software Quality Assurance (Testing) departments for further review and confirmation.  I'll keep you posted when I receive feedback.

TSGal
              FileMaker, Inc.

• 4. Re: Get ( CurrentHostTimeStamp ) returns... text!
                TSGal

FabriceN:

Our Testers have been unable to replicate the problem.

Does this happen only when the file is hosted in FileMaker Server?  Or, have you tried hosting the file in FileMaker Pro in one language and accessed as a client in another language?

Our testers were hosting the file in Mac OS X 10.6 (Intel Mac), with a date format of DD/MM/YYYY and using English.  The client was another Intel Mac configured to French.

Was the file originally created on an English system?  French system?

Any other information you can provide to help us replicate this issue would be appreciated.

TSGal
                FileMaker, Inc.