Get (ActivePortalRowNumber) works differently in WebDirect

Product

FileMaker Pro

Version

13 Advanced

Operating system version

Windows 7 Pro

Description of the issue

On a layout with a portal and other buttons outside the portal, the Get(ActivePortalRowNumber) function only works when a button outside the portal is clicked on the desktop client.  On the WebDirect client, the function return 0.

Steps to reproduce the problem

Create a layout with a portal and a button outside of the portal.  Create a pop-up that reports the Get(ActivePortalRowNumber) when a portal row is clicked or the secondary button is clicked.

Expected result

Both should report the proper portal row number on the desktop client and the WebDirect client.

Actual result

The portal row is reported on both clients when the portal row is clicked.

The portal row number is only reported on the desktop client when the secondary button is clicked.  The WebDirect client returns 0.

Exact text of any error message(s) that appear

N/A

Configuration information

WebDirect using Google Chrome Browser

Workaround

Save the portal row number to a global field when the portal row is clicked.

• 1. Re: Get (ActivePortalRowNumber) works differently in WebDirect
          TSGal

Fred Erickson:

I am unable to replicate the issue.  Here are the steps I took.

1. In FileMaker Pro 13.0v1, I created two tables and a one-to-many relationship.

2. In the first record, I created five related records in the portal.

3. I created a button outside the portal with the script step "Show Custom Dialog", with the calculation Get ( ActivePortalRowNumber )

4. I put my cursor in the third related record, clicked the button, and the Custom Dialog shows 3.

5. I set the field for Sharing with all users and access via WebDirect, closed the file, and uploaded it to FileMaker Server 13.

6. Using Chrome on Windows 7, I opened the hosted file, placed my cursor in the second related record of the portal, clicked the button, and the Custom Dialog shows 2.

7. I logged out of Chrome, went to a Mac, launched Safari, and opened the file via WebDirect.  I placed my cursor in the fourth related record of the portal, clicked the button, and the Customer Dialog shows 4.

Let me know what I'm doing differently from you so I can replicate the issue.

TSGal
               FileMaker, Inc.

• 2. Re: Get (ActivePortalRowNumber) works differently in WebDirect
            philmodjunk

Perhaps a script trigger is being tripped that performs a script with the commit records step in it? That would remove the focus from the portal and then you'd get the zero result that you report.

• 3. Re: Get (ActivePortalRowNumber) works differently in WebDirect
              fred@kca-inc.com

TSGal, Your setup looks exactly like the configuration I am using.  When I did this on the desktop client, I got the proper response.  When I uploaded the exact files to the WebDirect server, I got no row number response.  I'm not sure what to tell you. The only thing I can see that might be different is that my application uses a separated app/data model (2 files).  Do you think that might have anything to do with the different results we're seeing?

I've worked around the issue by capturing the row number in a global field and using it when I click the external button.

• 4. Re: Get (ActivePortalRowNumber) works differently in WebDirect
                TSGal

Fred Erickson:

The data separation model would not show a different result.

A 0 (zero) result will only occur if neither a related field is active nor the portal row is selected.

Capturing the row to a (global) field is fine for a workaround.  That way, you no longer have to select/edit the portal row after the value is stored.

TSGal
                     FileMaker, Inc.