Summary

Get active modifier keys broken in FMP14

Product

FileMaker Pro

Version

Operating system version

OSX 10.10

Description of the issue

with script debugger on you can not use cmd or cntrl with the single step buttons to grab active modifier keys as they are not clickable, works with alt and shift

Steps to reproduce the problem

simple script.
      set variable -> Get ( ActiveModifierKeys )
      run in debugger
      shift click the single step button, it sets the variable to 1

run again
      cmd click the single step button - it doesn't work at all

Expected result

correctly set variable

Actual result

nothing with cmd or ctrl

Screen_Shot_2015-05-12_at_23.54.58.png

• 1. Re: Get active modifier keys broken in FMP14

rwu2359:

Thank you for the post.

“cmd click the single step button - it doesn't work at all”

Close the script debugger and view the variable in the data viewer. 

In the Script Debugger for FileMaker Pro 13 Advanced, the Command key does not prevent the Script Debugger from proceeding. In the Script Debugger for FileMaker Pro 14 Advanced, pressing the Command key places the debugger in a suspended state and does not allow interaction with the Script Debugger. 

The variable is set correctly with the Script Debugger closed; however, I submitted a report to Testing and Development for additional feedback on this behavioral change. 

TSFalcon

FileMaker, Inc.

• 2. Re: Get active modifier keys broken in FMP14
            rwu2359

Thanks

This is a change from 13, and many previous versions, and means I can not correctly debug my scripts as I use this  a lot to modify button behaviour

john

• 3. Re: Get active modifier keys broken in FMP14

rwu2359:

Thank you for the reply.

Testing determined this behavior was a design change. The controls to use the FileMaker Pro 14 Advanced debugger are documented here:

Debugging scripts (FileMaker Pro 14 Advanced)

The new documentation no longer includes using the Command key as an option in script debugger like in the previous documentation here:

Debugging scripts (FileMaker Pro 13 Advanced)

Specifically, the following was removed from the 14 documentation:

When “Viewing sub-scripts..To close the Script Debugger, press Ctrl (Windows) or Command (OS X) and click Perform.”

TSFalcon

FileMaker, Inc.

• 4. Re: Get active modifier keys broken in FMP14
                rwu2359

Thanks for the reply

Please could you point out to engineering that this makes it impossible to debug ANY scripts where the use of keyboard modifiers is used

It is, for example, also possible to use the modifier on a custom dialog box to give more than three key options, only the only option I now have is to deliberately introduce an error in the script (like exporting a field with no reference) so that I can have the debugger open, with a pause on error ticked. Hardly a smooth developer experience.

Again, I am not trying to recover the close debugger behaviour but Command + NextStep

• 5. Re: Get active modifier keys broken in FMP14
                  PaulJansen

I too am having problems with modifier keys.  My test script sets a variable to Get(ActiveModifierKeys) and then displays this in a custom dialog

Regardless of which modifier keys I hold down, Get(ActiveModifierKeys) seems to be returning zero.

The debugger is not running.  I created a new empty file with just this script and the result was there same even after restarting FileMaker.  I am running FMPA14 on Yosemite.

• 6. Re: Get active modifier keys broken in FMP14
                    philmodjunk

@Paul Jansen,

Testing in Windows 7, your script works for me to display the value of the Mod key or keys that were down at the instant I run the script.

• 7. Re: Get active modifier keys broken in FMP14

@Paul Jansen:

Thank you for the reply.

I am also not able to replicate. (See the screenshot below.) 

Using the exact same script from your screenshot on a button, when the Command is held and the button clicked, then the result is 16.

@rwu2359:

“I am not trying to recover the close debugger behaviour but Command + NextStep”

The following information is from our Development department:

“Since these are toolbars, we inherit standard toolbar behavior.  On OSX control-click in toolbar brings up context menu for customization regardless of where is clicked, and command-click on buttons allow the user to move items around. This behavior is consistent with the Mail.app. 

Since we rely on customization being turned on, then command-click does “nothing” when the toolbar cannot be customized.”

TSFalcon

FileMaker, Inc.

• 8. Re: Get active modifier keys broken in FMP14
                        PaulJansen

TSFalcon,

Thanks for the reply.  I had restarted FMPA 14 and the problem definitely existed.  I just restarted my Mac and the problem went away.

Puzzling....

Thanks for taking the time to test;  I'm very very pleased that it appears not to be a real bug....

PJ

• 9. Re: Get active modifier keys broken in FMP14
                          hschlossberg

I'm just jealous after seeing your Mac screenshot, that you have spacing between the three sets of buttons in your debugger window (and also how the current script name stands out so magically).  In Windows, all the buttons are just all run together, with no logical spacing, and the script name is tiny.  As a result, it is a bit more difficult to use then in 13 (or then on Mac).

• 10. Re: Get active modifier keys broken in FMP14
                            TimBallering

Same thing here. Mac 10.10.3   Modifier keys do not work after running script debugger. This includes cmd n etc. continues after FMP restart and across all FMP files

• 11. Re: Get active modifier keys broken in FMP14
                              jgill@occu-med.com

Can confirm that I just ran across this bug in Mac OS X 10.10 and FileMaker 14 Advanced.  Only fix is to restart your computer, restarting FMP does NOT resolve the issue.  Makes it pretty difficult to debug anything using activeModiferKeys.  Thanks FileMaker...

• 12. Re: Get active modifier keys broken in FMP14

@All:

Thank you for the replies.

I added this entire thread and your comments to the original report made to Testing and Development.

TSFalcon

FileMaker, Inc.

• 13. Re: Get active modifier keys broken in FMP14
                                  tomtek

I can Verify this bug on Yosemite 10.10.5 and FM 14v2.  Get(ActiveModifierKeys) returns 0 for some unknown reason and after unknown timeframe.

The only fix is a restart of the Mac

Tom

• 14. Re: Get active modifier keys broken in FMP14
                                    BillMiller

I also am having problems with Active Modifier Keys in FM14.0.4 on El Capitan  (OS X 10.11.2).

The scripts are not sensing the key presses for any modifier keys.

It doesn't work whether I have the debugger running or not.

Simple script, try:  Set VAR , $$var, Get (ActiveModifierKeys)

Returns zero for everything.

1 2 Previous Next