Get( ModifiedFields ) Functions Only On Local File

Product

FileMaker Pro

Version

FM 13

Operating system version

Mac and PC

Description of the issue

The Get( ModifiedFields ) function does not work when using a file reference that's non-local. This function is terrific as it captures this pre-commit. However, it doesn't work using a remote file reference.

Steps to reproduce the problem

Create two files. Create a file reference in one to a table in the other. Put up the data viewer with the function and watch the problem.

Expected result

Should work in either situation

Actual result

Does not work in file with the reference to the other file.

Exact text of any error message(s) that appear

No error message

Configuration information

Doesn't matter

Workaround

None

• 1. Re: Get( ModifiedFields ) Functions Only On Local File
          TSGal

Sciarra:

Thank you for your post.

By definition, Get (ModifiedFiellds) returns a list of fields that have been modified in the current record of the current table.  This can be found under FileMaker Pro 13 Help, or from pages 729 and 782 of tthe Help Guide at:

http://fmhelp.filemaker.com/docs/13/en/fmp13_help.pdf

I recommend you enter this suggestion into our Feature Requests web form at:

http://www.filemaker.com/company/contact/feature_request.html

The suggestions entered into this web form populate a database file that is hosted and monitored by Product Management and Development.  All entries are reviewed and considered for possible implementation in a future release.  Although I can easily copy your post and paste it into the form, there are a couple of questions asked on the form that only you can answer.

TSGal
               FileMaker, Inc.

• 2. Re: Get( ModifiedFields ) Functions Only On Local File
            J.Sciarra

Hi TSGal,

Did you do my test? In fact,  you will notice that the behavior is very different in the two files and "current record in current table" should be valid in whatever file. By definition by your definition this should work regardless of the file. In fact, other functions take this for granted.

Am I missing something? Should the behavior by your estimation be different if the table is local or the table is from an external data source?

The fact that the behavior is different in the two instances is a smoking gun. 

In other words, I'm asserting this is still a bug and not a feature request.

Please correct my misunderstanding.

Thanks,

J.

Colibri Solutions

• 3. Re: Get( ModifiedFields ) Functions Only On Local File
              TSGal

J. Sciarra:

My apologies. I misread the post as I didn't realize the layout was based on the external file.

This issue has been previously reported, and our Development and Testing departments are aware of this issue.  Another person on the FileMaker forum has also run into this issue at:

Get ( ModifiedFields ) doesn't return a correct result in separation-model

I have attached your post to the original report.  When there is any update, I will let you know.

TSGal
                   FileMaker, Inc.

• 4. Re: Get( ModifiedFields ) Functions Only On Local File
                J.Sciarra

Hi TSGal,

I searched before I posted and my search foo was not good enough. The other poster's description was clearer than mine so i'm sorry for the lack of clarity. Can't wait for this to be fixed. It should be noted in the docs that this function works pre-commit which is what makes it great.

Thanks for your help.

Best,

J.

Colibri

• 5. Re: Get( ModifiedFields ) Functions Only On Local File
                  TSGal

J. Sciarra:

No need to apologize.  I know searching for posts is not always conclusive.  I'd rather have customers post their questions than spending time searching, so in the future, go ahead and post.  If it is a duplicate, then so be it.

TSGal
                       FileMaker, Inc.

• 6. Re: Get( ModifiedFields ) Functions Only On Local File
                    philmodjunk

But documenting a possible bug can take a lot of time. And the difficulty in searching this forum for exisiting bug reports is why I created the Known Bugs List database. It's a FileMaker Database of issue reports where the issue was confirmed (with a few exceptions) by a TS person here in the forum.

It's not perfect, but searching it is generally a lot better than searching this forum.

• 7. Re: Get( ModifiedFields ) Functions Only On Local File
                      TSGal

J. Sciarra:

Revisiting older postings, I realize that this issue was fixed in FileMaker Pro 13.0v4.

My apologies for not replying sooner, as I only updated the original posting.

TSGal
                      FileMaker, Inc.