1 Reply Latest reply on Jul 6, 2012 4:42 PM by philmodjunk

Getting a mac "command" symbol instead of cursor with blinking period...

sharlyndeweese

Summary

Product

FileMaker Pro

Version

12 trial

Operating system version

Mac OS 10.6.8

Description of the issue

Steps to reproduce the problem

I don't know, but I can't get out of this situation even by restarting application

Expected result

To be able to click on something or select something

Actual result

I get a delayed "error" sound. Like when you try to select something that has been locked

Exact text of any error message(s) that appear

none

Screen_shot_2012-07-06_at_6.36.23_PM.png

• 1. Re: Getting a mac "command" symbol instead of cursor with blinking period...
          philmodjunk

A command symbol and period in place of your mouse cursor indicates that a script is running. On windows we see Esc as these are the keyboard short cuts for aborting a script that might be trapped in an infinite loop. Such a script could be set to start up automatically when you open the file or access a specific layout via script triggers or file options.

If this sounds like the situation you are dealing with, try holding down the command key and pressing the period to abort the script, then investigate to see what script might be running and fix the problem.

Please note that this keyboard controlled script abort can be disabled from within the script. If Command Period doesn't halt your script, you can open the script debugger and use it to halt your script if you have FileMaker Advanced.

Forcing open the file without having such a script start up can be tricky if you don't have Advanced, but it can be done. You can use Perform Script from a different file to perform a different "safe" script in the original file to cause it to open but without starting up the script.