Summary

Global variables lost in FileMaker Go

Product

FileMaker Go

Version

Operating system version

iOS 7 and iOS 8.0.2

Description of the issue

In a large FM Go solution, after users are in the solution for a while, all of the $$variables will be lost. This causes security problems, and other major issues. The only fix is for the user to exit the application, quit FileMaker Go, and re-login.

Steps to reproduce the problem

Use application. It is random and happens to ~10% of users on just one solution

Expected result

Expect it would maintain global variables, just as FileMaker Pro does

Actual result

variables

Exact text of any error message(s) that appear

none

Configuration information

4th Generation iPad (model just before the Air) with 16GB of storage.

Bug happens for all ipads, all users. Random.

Workaround

Quit, and restart.

• 1. Re: Global variables lost in FileMaker Go
          TSGal

Matt Navarre:

Thank you for your post.

This issue has been previously reported on this forum and on TechNet.  For this forum, see:

Variables Not Being Declared on FileMaker Go - have to quit FM Go App

Although there is no resolution at this time, "PhilModJunk" did provide a script that will notify users when they get into this strange state.  See his post and test file to download at:

GetField returns null in FileMaker Go

I have attached your post to the original report.  When more information becomes available, I will post again.

TSGal
          FileMaker, Inc.

• 2. Re: Global variables lost in FileMaker Go
            philmodjunk

I'm not fully confident that what I reported matches what is reported here. The reason my "Detect bug state" script works for me consistently is that this state only seems to kick in when the first file is opened on the iOS device. Thus, a script that checks for the issue OnFirstWIndow open is sufficient. But you report an issue that occurs after extended use--so this may be something else.

And my fields and variables were coming up empty for two reasons: a) they were being modified by expressions that used GetField and the function was incorrectly returning a null values and b) changes made to a field were not being committed back to the database. Simply closing and reopening a popover where the edits had been made brougth the fields back up with their prior values.