8 Replies Latest reply on Oct 7, 2010 2:48 AM by LaRetta_1

Go to Next Record script issue in FileMaker 10

doctorvandermast

Summary

Go to Next Record script issue in FileMaker 10

Description of the issue

I have a FileMaker solution I've been working on that I have just moved into my brand-new FileMaker 10 Pro Advanced. Now the button that is set to Go to Next Record is misbehaving.  Unless you wait a period of time between clicks, FileMaker 10 will skip an occasional record. When I open the same solution in FileMaker 9 Pro Advanced it doesn't happen, the button behaves perfectly. Clicking on the icon in the status area and the keyboard command for Go to Next Record work perfectly in both FM9 and FM10.  Only the button-script shows the problem. Seems strange to me that such a basic action as Go to Next Record would do this. I wonder if anyone else has see this.  It's hard to notice unless you watch carefully.  I only noticed it because the picture in the skipped record flashes briefly during the skip. 24" Intel iMacMac OS X Version 10.5.6 BTW, when I clicked on the forum's Check Spelling before making this post it flagged FileMaker as an unknown word and suggested filmaker as its replacement. Very funny!

• 1. Re: Go to Next Record script issue in FileMaker 10
          TSGal

doctorvandermast:

Thank you for your post.

I'm having difficulty trying to duplicate this.  This is what I have done.

1. I opened a test database file in FileMaker Pro 10 Advanced.

2. I went into Layout Mode, created a small oval, went into Button Setup, and set it to Go to Record/Request/Page "Next"

3. I went back into Browse Mode and clicked the button, and it takes me to the next record.

4. I went to the first record, and pressed the button about twice a second.  I went through all 100 dummy records.

I repeated step #4 at different rates.  Slowing down to 1 per second, and as many as 5 per second.  In that time, it still took me 99 clicks to go from record 1 to 100.

I don't doubt there is a problem, but if I can't reproduce it, I can't pass it on to the appropriate people.  Let me know more about your button, number of records, etc., and I'll continue to duplicate the problem.

Can anyone else on the forum confirm?

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc. 

• 2. Re: Go to Next Record script issue in FileMaker 10
            doctorvandermast

Hi TSGal,

The problem seems to be resolved.  Here's what I did which seemed to fix it.

1.  I went back to a very early, simpler copy of my database solution.  It too showed the problem.

2. I reduced that solution to a simple state.  I delete all other tables except for one.  I reduced the number of records in that table to 10.  I still had the problem.

3. Then, as a test, I  added a calculated field to the table with Get(RecordNumber) in it.

4.  I put this extra field on the layout.  The problem went away.

5.  I removed this field from the layout.  The problem still was gone.

6. I deleted the calculated field with Get(RecordNumber) in it from the table.  The problem still was gone.

7. Now when I opened up my other, complex database solution, the problem was gone there too.

I'm not sure why this fixed it. I am just reporting, as best as possible, what I remember I did in case it reveals a code issue in FM 10.

It seems like the application FM 10 itself got somehow left in a confused state, and creating the calculated field with Get(RecordNumber) in it made FM internally resolve the problem.

Perhaps you have a theory?

Anyway, thanks for your prompt response. 

• 3. Re: Go to Next Record script issue in FileMaker 10
              doctorvandermast
                 Well, I was wrong.  The problem has returned. The fix was only a temporary remission. I'll have to do some more testing.
              • 4. Re: Go to Next Record script issue in FileMaker 10
                TSGal

doctorvandermast:

Thanks for documenting everything you are doing.  Although the problem hasn't been located, it does give me an idea what you have tried.  Please keep me updated!

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc. 

• 5. Re: Go to Next Record script issue in FileMaker 10
                  doctorvandermast

Here's where my problem stands now:

I bought another copy of FileMaker 10 Adv, a boxed copy with a CD, and installed it on my wife's computer. The DB solution work fine there. No sign of record skipping.

On my computer, I was using a online download FM 10 upgrade, so I thought there might be a problem with that downloaded file.  I deleted FM 10 from my computer and reinstalled the version from my wife's CD.  Now I was sure I had a "good install" version of FM 10 on my machine.

But alas, on my computer, the DB still shows the record skipping problem. 

Now the best theory is the cause is something about my computer. Both computers are iMacs running OS X 10.5.6.

Dunno what to do next.

Thanks for your help and I would welcome any suggestions. 

• 6. Re: Go to Next Record script issue in FileMaker 10
                    doctorvandermast

TSGal

Now I think I really have the solution.

On my Mac, in System Preferences, if I set my mouse double-click speed to be faster, the problem seems to go away.

I'll need more long-term testing to be sure, but it fits the facts and explains the intermittent nature of the problem.

It doesn't explain why the problem wouldn't also show up in FM9 however, so I'm still keeping my fingers crossed.  Perhaps the mouse-click event is handled differently in the two applications.

Well, if anyone else has this same bizarre issue, you might have a solution to offer them.

Thanx again. 

• 7. Re: Go to Next Record script issue in FileMaker 10
                      JImC

I know this is an old post but i have this problem exactly.

Was there ever a solution?

• 8. Re: Go to Next Record script issue in FileMaker 10
                        LaRetta_1

I do not understand why double-click speed would make a difference unless you are double-clicking.  Double-click would move you two records forward. Single click activates script.  I haven't heard any other report of this issue.