3 Replies Latest reply on Apr 21, 2010 2:37 PM by TSGal

Go To Record Menu Functions Not Available

SteveBennett

Summary

Go To Record Menu Functions Not Available

Description of the issue

The Go To Record menu commands and equivalent key commands are not available if the Status Area is hidden and locked. So you can not build a nice custom solution, control the users access to the Status Area, and still allow them to efficiently use the key commands that they are accustomed to. 

• 1. Re: Go To Record Menu Functions Not Available
          TSGal

Squeaky Data:

Thank you for your post.

I do not know why the Go To Record was disabled when the Status Toolbar is hidden and locked.  I have sent a request to our Development and Software Quality Assurance (Testing) departments for more information.  When information becomes available for you, I will let you know.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

• 2. Re: Go To Record Menu Functions Not Available
            mrvodka

I believe this has been the behavior for a while...

• 3. Re: Go To Record Menu Functions Not Available
              TSGal

Squeaky Data:

This is embarrassing...  I reported this problem during FileMaker Pro timeframe.  The original post is located at:

http://fm.lithium.com/t5/Report-a-bug/FMP10-disables-menu-items/td-p/7091

There has been some ongoing discussion since that time frame.  One comment says, "This is done on purpose to allow database designer to be in complete control of their solutions."

Another person suggested you can create a custom menu and replace the Go to Record with two new menu commands that go to next and previous records using the keyboard shortcuts.  This works on Windows, but the Ctrl-up arrow and Ctrl-down arrow keys are not captured on Mac OS.  I had to substitute Command-Up and Command-down, respectively.

So, you can control the users access to the Status Toolbar and still allow them to use the key commands they are accustomed to on Windows.  On Mac, you'll need to substitute.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.