IMHO, it's an issues with one (or more than one) file - not an issue with FileMaker 13
Therefore, some more information would be helpfull
- does FM hang forever or just for about 40 seconds? Could be a problem with file references (external sources)
- what information is on that layout? What methods (portals, functions, cf's,)?
- are Plugins involved (are those plugings up to date for the use with FM13)?
- was there a problem in the past, ie. a crash that requiered a recover of the file?
- could You try to create a clone of the file(s) and does it work on a clone?
Have you set up any script triggers in the new version of your database? Go To Layout can trip a long list of script triggers on either of the two layouts involved. It's quite possible for such a script to trip its own trigger and get trapped in a loop.