2 Replies Latest reply on Sep 28, 2014 8:04 AM by philmodjunk

Goto Layout causes FM13 to loop or hang.

DavidMoss

Summary

Goto Layout causes FM13 to loop or hang.

Product

FileMaker Pro

Version

Operating system version

OSX 10.9.2

Description of the issue

I just converted Filemaker files from Ver 8, file format fp7. All but one file appeared to convert successfully. One of the primary layouts (Donations) can be seen if you navigate to it while in  layout mode. But if I then select "Browse", or if in Browse mode, I click on a button that is a "Goto layout Donations", Filemaker hangs.

I have FM 8 on another computer in our local network. I opened up the old ver 8 files. made a donation, then quit FM8. I went back and reconverted the main file which contains the "Donations" layout. Same problem.

Can someone give me some guidance? Thanks.
      David

Steps to reproduce the problem

I bring up my database. From the first window (Patron layout), I click on the "Donations" butting to go to the Donations Layout. Filemaker hangs.

Expected result

Navigation to the Donations layout.

Actual result

Filemaker hangs.

Exact text of any error message(s) that appear

No message. I have to force quit Filemaker because Filemaker is no longer responding.

Workaround

None. We are a non-profit and this system is our record keeping system. Everything was working well before I upgraded to FM 13.

• 1. Re: Goto Layout causes FM13 to loop or hang.
          Markus Schneider

IMHO, it's an issues with one (or more than one) file - not an issue with FileMaker 13

Therefore, some more information would be helpfull

- does FM hang forever or just for about 40 seconds? Could be a problem with file references (external sources)

- what information is on that layout? What methods (portals, functions, cf's,)?

- are Plugins involved (are those plugings up to date for the use with FM13)?

- was there a problem in the past, ie. a crash that requiered a recover of the file?

- could You try to create a clone of the file(s) and does it work on a clone?

hth

• 2. Re: Goto Layout causes FM13 to loop or hang.
            philmodjunk

Have you set up any script triggers in the new version of your database? Go To Layout can trip a long list of script triggers on either of the two layouts involved. It's quite possible for such a script to trip its own trigger and get trapped in a loop.