1 2 Previous Next 24 Replies Latest reply on May 22, 2014 6:20 PM by laurentades

GPS randomly does not refresh when using Location/LocationValues functions

laurentades

Summary

GPS randomly does not refresh when using Location/LocationValues functions

Product

FileMaker Go

Version

Operating system version

iOS 6.1.3 (10B329)

Description of the issue

On a random basis, execution of LocationValues function won't trigger a proper GPS location fetch (which can be visually observed) but will instantly return data from the last successful fetch even though age of value increases.

Steps to reproduce the problem

Create a script that calls LocationValues function on an iterative basis : script is,designed to compute an area and will therefore run over a loop prompting the user to move along locations before pressing a dialog button which triggers the LocationValues function.

Expected result

Each call to the LocationValues function should trigger a proper GPS fetch

Actual result

On a random basis iOS GPS cache data is returned instead of running a proper GPS fetch

Exact text of any error message(s) that appear

Nil

Configuration information

Nil

Workaround

Trap the issue within a loop that checks whether the output of LocationValues is the same as previous and re-run. It can tale up to 15-20 times before a proper GPS fetch is performed.

• 1. Re: GPS randomly does not refresh when using Location/LocationValues functions
          laurentades

Any one able to provide feedbackon that one ?

I have alo noticed that this problem only occurs on iPad with Retina Display not with an iPad 2 for example

• 2. Re: GPS randomly does not refresh when using Location/LocationValues functions
            philmodjunk

Am I correct that you can see the correct GPS position, but the fetch isn't pulling it up in FM GO? (Just making sure it's not a connectivity issue...)

• 3. Re: GPS randomly does not refresh when using Location/LocationValues functions
              laurentades

No, not correct :

When the issue manifests, a previous location is retrieved (most probably from the iOS GPS cache or something) : the Location/LocationValues functions do not even trigger the ususal spinning cog visual feedback telling you something is happening : the previous location values are retrieved instantly.

I have also noticed this happens when the Location/LocationValues functions are called within a relatively short lapse of time i.e. up to one minute or so. The bug does not really manifests when interval between 2 location calls are something like 10 minutes appart....

• 4. Re: GPS randomly does not refresh when using Location/LocationValues functions
                philmodjunk

That's not what I asked. I'm a new iPhone owner myself and am still exploring features, but what I asked was whether you could confirm that the phone was correctly getting the current GPSS coordinates and FMGO was failing to retrieve them or if the phone itself had failed to update its location.

If the phone can't retrieve the current location, then there will be nothing fm go can do so it's an important distinction to make here.

• 5. Re: GPS randomly does not refresh when using Location/LocationValues functions
                  laurentades

GPS s working like a charm system wide : all other apps are receiving Location service data as one would expect. Only FMGo is having a hard time getting fresh location data on a consistent basis...

• 7. Re: GPS randomly does not refresh when using Location/LocationValues functions
                    TSGal

Laurent Ades:

Thank you for your posts, and I apologize for the late reply.

FileMaker Go uses the iOS API to get the location.  With that said, I am unable to replicate the issue using FileMaker Go 12.0.7.  (I no longer have 12.0.6 to test).  I have circumvented my building, and executed the LocationValues script.  With my Test.fmp12 file, Test table, Test layout, and text field "Location", my script reads as follows:

Set Field [ Test::Location ; LocationValues ( 100 ) ]

I add a new record at each corner of the building, and the proper coordinates appear.  To be sure, I went around the building a second time and compared the record values.  The values were nearly identical (the last "minute" values were different).

What accuracy are you using for LocationValues?  Do you have a timeout set?  If so, let it default to 60 seconds.

I know this is happening "on a random basis", so this makes it more difficult to determine the cause.  Keep the existing values, and create new fields to store the new readings.  This may help determine if there are certain locations where the values are incorrect.

Any other information you can provide may be helpful.

TSGal
                         FileMaker, Inc.

• 8. Re: GPS randomly does not refresh when using Location/LocationValues functions
                      laurentades

Hi,

Apologies for late reply.

I have attached a test database you can use as i did : loops 10 new records with locationValues capture and logs the time it takes to perform the capture. Performed test on 4 different setups:

•           1/ iPad 2 Cellular/iOS 7.0/FMGo 12.0.8.79555
                      •      
                      •           2/ iPad 4 Cellular/iOS 6.1.3/FMGo 12.0.8.79555
                      •      
                      •           3/ iPhone 5/iOS7.0/ FMGo 12.0.8.79555

Only test 1 works as expected : each new record and location capture performs a new capture which lasts up to 10 seconds.

Tests 2 & 3 : first record takes expected time to perform (4-10 seconds). All other records are created instantly (0 second) and location data are same as first record : looks like FMGo is reading from a cache value instead of re-querying the iOS location service.

Does not look like it is related to an iOS version or a FMGo version (had same results with 12.0.6 and 12.0.7 on iOS6) but rather to a device generation....

https://www.dropbox.com/l/IXjuBmzkX0KBYH46qC6Bdd

Let me know if you can reproduce

• 9. Re: GPS randomly does not refresh when using Location/LocationValues functions
                        DanielHirner

I have the same issues. Has anyone figured out a workaround?

• 10. Re: GPS randomly does not refresh when using Location/LocationValues functions
                          TSGal

Laurent Ades and Daniel Hirner:

Thank you for your post, and I apologize for the late reply.

I just downloaded the file and placed it on an iPad 1 running iOS 6.1.3, an iPad 3 running iOS 7.0.2, an iPhone 5 running iOS 7.0.2, and an iPod touch running iOS 6.1.3.  I have run the script on all four devices, and walked around with each of them.  Your "test" script works as expected.  That is, I get a 10 second wait between each record before it is added.  I am unable to replicate the issue.

I'm searching all of the Settings on the devices to see what might cause FileMaker Go to just grab what is in a memory cache.  Location Services, General...  No luck.

Can you determine what settings are different between your iPad 2 and iPad 4 besides the iOS version?  Any information you can provide may be helpful in narrowing down the cause.

TSGal
                               FileMaker, Inc.

• 11. Re: GPS randomly does not refresh when using Location/LocationValues functions
                            DanielHirner

Hi TSGal

I just tried Laurent Ades "gps test" script on my iPhone5C running iOS 7.0.3 - the script searches for a location of the first point, waits 10 seconds for the second, then after 6 seconds it grabs the third point and then immediately fills in the remaing points without doing a location search.

I've attached a screen shot from my iPhone showing my results:

Best regards,
                                 Dan

• 12. Re: GPS randomly does not refresh when using Location/LocationValues functions
                              TSGal

David Hirner:

I just finished installing iOS 7.0.3 onto my iPad 3 thinking this might be the issue.  I then downloaded the gps_test.fmp12 file again and put it on the iPad.  I launched FileMaker Go, opened the file, executed the script and started walking around the building.  Again, I could not replicate the issue, and my results are posted below.

Any other information you can provide to help me replicate the issue would be appreciated.

TSGal
                                   FileMaker, Inc.

• 13. Re: GPS randomly does not refresh when using Location/LocationValues functions
                                laurentades

Thanks Daniel - glad am not the only one....

Important : i use my iPad 2 (with cellular) with NO cellular connection, nor WiFi. When out there, the only option to get a location is to query the GPS i guess. On the  iPad 4, the situation is the same. On the iPhone 5, result is the same regardless gof WiFi or cellular data being available.

iPad 4 is part of  setoff enrolled devices into the OSX Server Profile manager : managed devices whilst neither iPhone 5 nor iPad 2 are which makes it irrelevant s issue occurs on iPhone 5.

Location service is on on all devices with FileMaker Go allowed to access

Walked around all settings on all 3 devices side by side and can't see ay difference....

Could it not be device related as in the way a specific build of IOS accesses hardware data ? My iPhone 5 is A1429 GSM, iPad 4 is  A1460 (not relevant for iPad 2 as no hardware variance)

• 14. Re: GPS randomly does not refresh when using Location/LocationValues functions
                                  DanielHirner

I've tried this both on an iPhone5c and a iPad Mini both running iOS 7.0.3  and I get similar results to the screenshot I posted above.  I'm getting pretty discouraged and am contemplating dropping the LocationValues function in favour of using HTML5 within the webviewer.

Dan

1 2 Previous Next