4 Replies Latest reply on Mar 10, 2011 8:34 AM by GeraldJourneau

Graphics print black

oakhurst

Summary

Graphics print black

Description of the issue

I have just upgraded to filemaker pro 9 advanced. When saving a layout as a pdf a graphic jpg logo referenced from another file 'prints' as black. When printing to a normal printer or adobe pdf through the print option the logo prints normally.  Testing the database again through pro advanced version 8.5 and the pdf file is created with proper graphic, as it was prior to upgrade. Can anyone advise.  Thanks 

• 1. Re: Graphics print black
          rmanook

Hi oakhurst,

Thanks for posting!  I tried re-creating the issue but my PDFs properly displayed the images.  Here's how I set up my testing:

-FileMaker Pro 9 Advanced v3 (tested on both Mac 10.5 and Win XP sp3)

-2 new database files (each with a container field and record id field) 

-the relationship is record id = record id

-File A's container field is referencing File B's container field in Field Control/Setup

-Saved images off of google image search 

In both my Mac and Windows testing, the graphic displayed without issue when saving via File > Save/Send Records as > PDF.  I tried saving as 'Records being browsed' and 'Current Record' and also tried testing with two tables within a single database file.

If you try a similar test with new database files does the same thing happen?  Will a test without the 'problem' graphic yield the same results?

I apologize that I don't have an immediate answer for you, but these tests can definitely help in pointing us in the right direction.  Let me know how it works out!

Thanks!

tsturtle

FileMaker, Inc. 

• 2. Re: Graphics print black
            oakhurst

Hi tsturtle

Many thanks.  Followed your suggestion using new graphics - everything fine.  So then tested new database with original jpg which had caused reported problem.  Clearly the jpg file was corrupt or not compatible in some manner.  I have now replaced logo in original database with new tiff version and pdf prints OK.

Note - jpg files created/'saved as' in my copy of photoshop still read black when saved in filemaker as a pdf.  Tiff files work OK.  Jpeg's created/saved in other programmes also work OK.  Therefore, some issue exists with the way photoshop creates jpg that I need to investigate.

Thanks for your assistance

• 3. Re: Graphics print black
              rmanook

oakhurst:

I'm glad you're up and running!  Let us know if you discover the source of issue with your photoshop jpeg files;  I'm sure the information will be valuable to other users with the same configuration.

Thanks!

tsturtle

FileMaker, Inc. 

• 4. Re: Graphics print black
                GeraldJourneau

Saving the photoshops files as tiff, fixed my problem also. Thanks