Half of relationship graph missing when first opening solution

Product

FileMaker Pro

Version

13.0v1

Operating system version

10.8.5 mac os x

Description of the issue

Half of the graph is missing realtionships and table occurrences (visually) when first entering realtionship graph upon opening a file

Steps to reproduce the problem

Open file in 13
      go right into manage database -> relationship

Expected result

to see the entire graph

Actual result

half the graph is missing, normally left-most table occurrences and the realtionships from them (which is quite bad when using anchor-buoy style).

Screen_Shot_2013-12-10_at_7.56.33_AM.png

• 1. Re: Half of relationship graph missing when first opening solution
          TSGal

Daniel Wood:

Thank you for your post.

I am unable to replicate the issue with FileMaker Pro 13.0v1 on Mac OS X 10.8.5.

Do you have FileMaker Pro 12 also installed on your computer?  If so, does this issue also occur in FileMaker Pro 12?

If you create a new file with several tables, are you able to replicate the issue?

Any other information you can provide may be helpful in finding a solution.

TSGal
               FileMaker, Inc.

• 2. Re: Half of relationship graph missing when first opening solution
            weetbicks

Hi there,

Yes FileMaker Pro 12 Advanced, and FileMaker Pro 11 advanced are installed - this does not happen in FileMaker 12.

The file itself was converted from fp7 to 12,  has been developed in both, and now switching over to developing in 13.

The issue happens every single time with this file on startup.  Entering manage database goes directly to the relationships tab (not tables or fields) and left table occurrences are always missing - I'm actually worried they are physically deleted, because when I cancel the manage database dialog it asks if I want to discard changes, as if I deleted them.   once I discard and go right back in, the table occurrences are all there, it's only first time.

I have tried a couple of other solutions but it does not happen for them, just this particular solution.

Creating a new file in 13 from scratch does not occur, so must be something odd about this file.

• 3. Re: Half of relationship graph missing when first opening solution
              TSGal

Daniel Wood:

Thank you for the additional information.

Since this displays properly in FileMaker Pro 12 but not FileMaker Pro 13, I would like to get a copy (clone) of the file if possible.  I can then have Development and Testing look at the file to determine why this is failing.  Check your Inbox at the top of this page for instructions where to send the file.

TSGal
                   FileMaker, Inc.

• 4. Re: Half of relationship graph missing when first opening solution
                user24863

I have also had this issue.  It appears it's deleting the left-most occurrence on all of that table's relationships.  If I re-open the file in Filemaker 12 and save it ... the table and relationships reappear.

• 5. Re: Half of relationship graph missing when first opening solution
                  TSGal

Francis Caliva:

Thank you for your post.

What version of FileMaker Pro are you using?  What operating system?  Is the file hosted or used locally?  What version of FileMaker was the file created?  Any other information you can provide may be helpful.

TSGal
                       FileMaker, Inc.

• 6. Re: Half of relationship graph missing when first opening solution
                    philmodjunk

Back several versions ago, we had an issue with Manage | Database | Relationships that turned out to be window mode specific. I forget the details but whether the layout was in Browse or Layout mode determined whether the issue occurred or not. Those of you with this issue might check and see if Browse, Layout or Preview mode being selected in the current layout when you open this window makes any difference or not.

This is a major long shot, but it might explain why this issue is not yet reproducible by TSGal.

• 7. Re: Half of relationship graph missing when first opening solution
                      weetbicks

The issue is ESS related.

1. File hosted on server 13,  uses ESS. There is a system DSN setup to the ODBC source on the server

2. Hosted the graph appears fine.

3. Take database offline and I put it on the server desktop and open it locally on server

4. When I go into the graph this time the anchor table occurrences are missing.

5. Close graph (discard changes) and reopen and its fine

The odd thing is that the DSN is still on the same machine as both hosted/local,  but local doesn't work yet hosted does.

The server is running OS 10.9 Mavericks,  FileMaker Pro/Server are both latest version 13.

• 8. Re: Half of relationship graph missing when first opening solution
                        user24863

Sorry about that ... problem occurs in Filemaker Pro Advanced 13.0v1 running on Mac OS 10.9.1.  This file was originally created in FileMaker Pro 10 and then upgraded to the FM 12 format.  TSGal, I just messaged you a screencast.

• 9. Re: Half of relationship graph missing when first opening solution
                          user24863

Daniel,

Just out of curiosity, what ODBC driver are you using?

• 10. Re: Half of relationship graph missing when first opening solution
                            weetbicks

It's the Actual Technologies ODBC driver,  latest version.

• 11. Re: Half of relationship graph missing when first opening solution
                              user24863

Same here, version 3.2.1.  I've also had an issue with Server 13 shutting down at random.  It's happened a couple of times over the past week, have you had any similar issues?

• 12. Re: Half of relationship graph missing when first opening solution
                                weetbicks

No issues with it shutting down.  Only closest thing is on a client server that became unresponsive in the admin-console.  Database server was still being hosted fine but admin console gave no indication of useres connected, backups run etc (even though it was still happening). However also what was happening was ESS broke,  and any attempt to view any ESS related data in the database resulted in the database completely freezing FMP client to the point it had to be force-quit.  A restart of the entire server machine fixed all these issues.

• 13. Re: Half of relationship graph missing when first opening solution
                                  philmodjunk

An entry in the Known Bugs List has been linked to this Issue Report. Any Comments/Questions/Suggested Corrections should be posted here or in a new thread. Please do not post such comments to the Known Bugs List thread.

• 14. Re: Half of relationship graph missing when first opening solution
                                    user10625
                                         I posted a similar issue here:  http://forums.filemaker.com/posts/d6178efe5d

One thing I note was the following in an earlier comment on this thread:

"No issues with it shutting down.  Only closest thing is on a client server that became unresponsive in the admin-console.  Database server was still being hosted fine but admin console gave no indication of useres connected, backups run etc (even though it was still happening). However also what was happening was ESS broke,  and any attempt to view any ESS related data in the database resulted in the database completely freezing FMP client to the point it had to be force-quit.  A restart of the entire server machine fixed all these issues."

I do believe we saw something like this, sporadically, for a couple of weeks. . . our system (the entire server)  would randomly freeze up during the day and I had to restart the server.  Kind of debilitating in a 30+ user company.    Not sure it had to do with the ESS/graph issue, but I thought I would mention it just in case.

I discussed this "server freezing" with Wim DeCorte in "Advanced Discussion", and he thought it was a load issue (too many users, not strong enough server).  In fact, we have a pretty beefy, well set up server (2 quad-cores, etc.), so I had my doubts this was the reason.  And in fact, one weekend morning, when nobody else was logged in, the server froze up, in a similar manner, during a server script run.  Just 1 user . .the script.  The server script itself had been running for months with no issues.  I know there was a freeze at this time (despite there being no users on), because I got messages about the inability to pause databases (presumably for progressive backups), and I checked out the server stats graphs.  It was random though . . the server script froze at a very different point on Saturday and Sunday morning.  And on Saturday, it eventually "unfroze" and finished fine.  Sunday, I got error messages all day long until I was able to reboot.

I can go into more detail about all this if anyone needs it.  The behavior seems to have stopped.  

The only thing I can think of is that some OS updates were applied on the 10th of March, and for 2 weeks we saw these crashes, about 1 a day on average.  Then, after some more OS updates were applied (on the 24th), the crashes stopped.  If the freezing is/was related to the ESS/graph issue,  I was thinking that perhaps the ODBC driver was interfered with by the first batch of OS updates in some way, and then the subsequent batch of OS updates ameliorated the situation.

1 2 Previous Next