1 Reply Latest reply on Sep 29, 2010 11:23 AM by philmodjunk

Hang when changing tables/fields/relationships with FMPA 10 against FMSA 11

robhafer

Summary

Hang when changing tables/fields/relationships with FMPA 10 against FMSA 11

Product

FileMaker Server

Version

Operating system version

Win2003

Description of the issue

After upgrading from FMSA 10 to 11, I observed frequent hangs when committing changes to the database using FMPA. Usually the client would hang for 30+ minutes but occasionally it would hang for hours before I gave up and killed the client process.

Once I upgraded the FMPA client to v11 the problem went away.

Steps to reproduce the problem

1. On FMPA 10, open a hosted FMSA 11 database where you have full control (in my case the database has a 40+ relationships)
      2. Manage Database, make a change (like add a table with a few fields), and click OK

Expected result

Changes should be completed within a few seconds (assuming no active users are affected by the change)

Actual result

Client freeze for 30+ min and occasionally for at least 2 hours

Exact text of any error message(s) that appear

n/a

Workaround

Upgrade the FMPA client from v10 to v11 (matching the FMSA)

• 1. Re: Hang when changing tables/fields/relationships with FMPA 10 against FMSA 11
          philmodjunk

Are these changes, changes to a field name perhaps?

Filemaker 11 takes much longer to update layouts to show the new field name than FileMaker 10.

Do you see the same delays with a new filemaker file if you make the same changes?

There may be damage to your file that FileMaker 10 tolerates but which causes issues for FileMaker 11--you might do the usual tests: Try a compressed copy, try a clone of the file, test a recovered copy...

Best practice is to never use a recovered file going forward, but to replace damaged files with undamaged back up copies whenever possible.