GertrudeReagan

Summary

Has my Filemaker been corrupted?

Product

FileMaker Pro

Version

Operating system version

Description of the issue

When I tried opening Filemaker, it took forever, so I had to shut off the computer with the switch.

When I tried again, it opened, but couldn't sort the files properly or find a name I requested.

Does this indicate I should upgrade, or test my Macintosh for a virus?

Steps to reproduce the problem

Closed Filemaker again. Then reopened. Tried sort and search again.

Expected result

1. Alphabetized list.

2. highlight correct record.

Actual result

list not alphabetized.

"Find" returns  "No records match this request" even though I requested one I could see in the list.

Exact text of any error message(s) that appear

First try: "No records match this request"

Second try: (This is a text field)
      "The value of this field must be a valid date in the range of years 1 to 4000 and should look like “12/25/2003”."

Configuration information

Apple upgraded the Finder window format.

Screen_Shot_2015-04-08_at_4.38.54_PM.png

• 1. Re: Has my Filemaker been corrupted?
          philmodjunk

Force quitting can possibly damage your file.

To check, launch FileMaker without trying to open this file. Then select recover from the File menu and select your file as the file to recover. What you describe could be a corrupted index so test the recovered copy even if the recover does not report finding any problems as recover rebuilds all indexes without trying to analyze them for problems.

Things to keep in mind about Recover:

While Recover almost always detects and fully corrects any problems with your file...

1. The recovered copy may behave differently even if recover reports "no problems found".
          3. Recover does not detect all problems
          5. Recover doesn't always fix all problems correctly
          7. Best Practice is to never put a recovered copy back into regular use or development. Instead, replace the damaged file with an undamaged back up copy if this is at all possible. You may have to save a clone of the back up copy and import all data from your recovered copy to get a working copy with the most up to date information possible.

And here's a knowledgebase article that you may find useful: What to do when your file is corrupt (KB5421).