Help search does not work

Product

FileMaker Pro

Version

Operating system version

Mac OS X 10.7

Description of the issue

I just installed Filemaker Pro Advanced v 12

When I select "Help/Filemaker Pro Advanced Help" from the menu and then do any search (i.e. "get ( application version )"), no results are returned and the heading is listed as undefined. see attachment.

Filemaker_Help.jpg

• 1. Re: Help search does not work
          TSGal

sipgrinder:

Thank you for your post.

Thank you for the screen shot.  The part next to the FileMaker icon shows "Undefined", when it should display "FileMaker Pro 12 Help".  Somehow, FileMaker Pr is displaying information from another Help file.  Do you have a prior version of FileMaker Pro installed?

I have included a screenshot of Help from my machine with FileMaker Pro 12.0v1 installed under Mac OS X 10.7.3 and the search results for Get(ApplicationVersion).

TSGal
          FileMaker, Inc.

• 2. Re: Help search does not work
            sipgrinder

I have several different versions of Filemaker:

Developer 6

Pro 8.5 Advanced

Pro 9

Pro 10 Advanced

Pro 12 Advanced

I also had the demo version of Pro 12 that I tried to delete. I was unable to find the preference file even when I went to ~/Library/Preferences/Filemaker Preferences

• 3. Re: Help search does not work
              TSGal

slipgrinder:

Thank you for the information.

With several versions of FileMaker Pro installed, there is a possibility that the wrong Help file is being called.

The Preferences file for FileMaker Pro 12 Advanced is located in the following folder (with all the other Preferences files for other versions):

[User Account] -> Library -> Preferences -> com.filemaker.client.advanced12.plist

For FileMaker Pro, the file is com.filemaker.client.pro12.plist

TSGal
              FileMaker, Inc.

• 4. Re: Help search does not work
                sipgrinder

It does find the correct help file. As long as I just pick topics, it will take me to the correct information. It is only when I do a search that it does not work. I tried deleting the preference files and that did not help.

• 5. Re: Help search does not work
                  TSGal

sipgrinder:

Thanks for the additional information.

Try reseetting the Apple Help Viewer.  First, remove the following two Preference files:

[User Account] -> Library -> Preferences -> com.apple.help.plist
                  [User Account] -> Library -> Preferences -> com.apple.helpviewer.plist

Remove the following files from the Caches folder:

[Your user account] -> Library -> Caches -> com.apple.helpd
                  [Your user account] -> Library -> Caches -> com.apple.helpviewer

Once removed, launch FileMaker Pro 12 and access Help.  This should write new files based on FileMaker Pro 12.

TSGal
                  FileMaker, Inc.

• 6. Re: Help search does not work
                    sipgrinder

That worked. I had to restart my computer too. Thanks