Summary

HELP!! FM Pro spontaneously asking for and rejecting password

Product

FileMaker Pro

Version

Operating system version

osX 10.7.4

Description of the issue

My database suddenly asked for a password, while open, with this after the title: (my name's desktop conflicted copy).

Despite my password being saved in my keychain, it rejects it. I've tried Admin, with all caps, no caps, etc to the same result. I've copied the database and tried to open it on my laptop. Same.

I have 5,000 contact in there and an invite that has to go out today and I'm dying...

I can see it all with guest privileges, but I can't do anything. HELP!!!

Steps to reproduce the problem

restarted (first mistake)
      Tried to restore within filemaker
      Copied and tried to open on another computer

Expected result

to be saved

Actual result

Wouldn't let me do anything.

Exact text of any error message(s) that appear

The account and password you entered cannot be used to access this file. Please try again.

Configuration information

My utter desperation?!

Workaround

none.

• 1. Re: HELP!! FM Pro spontaneously asking for and rejecting password
          philmodjunk

Account names are not case sensitive. Passwords are case sensitive. So admin or ADMIN or Admin all access the same account when logging in. The accounts and their passwords are stored as part of the file so copying the file to another computer is unlikely to fix this issue unless keychain on that other computer has the correct account name and password stored.

If your file was not previously secured with a password, I would suggest trying admin with no password as a way to open the file. But it would seem from your reference to keychain that this is not the case, but if there is any chance that this was the case, try that method to see what happens.

Their are two other common ways that confusion over passwords can occur:

1) As I have already mentioned, passwords are case sensitive. If you are logging on with the correct password but using incorrect capitalization, you won't get access to your file. A caps lock setting is sometimes the culprit, but Filemaker warns you when this key is down.

2) FileMaker automatically enters your USER name as the ACCOUNT name into the Log in dialog. If you go to preferences and change your user name or you re-install the software and specify a different user name, this puts a different name in the ACCOUNT name box in the log in dialog and you can't log in with the same password without manually deleting the changed USER name and entering the original ACCOUNT name.

If all else fails, do you have any back up copies of your file? If so, try opening them to see if they can be opened. If they can be opened, something was changed in your current copy of the file. If they also cannot be opened, then this suggests that your keychain settings have been modified.

• 2. Re: HELP!! FM Pro spontaneously asking for and rejecting password
            tcprgrp

Hi Phil. I know they aren't but when I called filemaker support, that's what she told me to do! Try it each way! So, I put it down, in case someone here was of like mind. The file was stored with a password, and I know the password (I actually write them down). I was the only one with access to the computer and to the file. Nothing was changed. 

• 3. Re: HELP!! FM Pro spontaneously asking for and rejecting password
              philmodjunk

Seems like an extreme long shot, but have you tried recovering the file?

• 4. Re: HELP!! FM Pro spontaneously asking for and rejecting password
                tcprgrp

I have, yes. No luck.

• 5. Re: HELP!! FM Pro spontaneously asking for and rejecting password
                  philmodjunk

Please consider the following scenario and see if it applies:

You set up a password, entering "Jim" as the account name and "xyz" as the password.

All works fine. When you open the file, you see a password with "Jim" in the account name box and all you have to enter is "xyz" to gain access to the file.

Then a user goes to Edit | Preferences and changes the user name to "Jimmy".

Now they can't get into their file as it keeps rejecting their password.

Here's why this happens:

When FileMaker brings up the standard log in screen, it automatically enters the user name from preferences as the account name. Thus, "Jimmy" appears in the account name box of the password log in dialog. But there is no account named "Jimmy" because the account name is "Jim" and thus all attempts at entering a password will fail until you also change the account name from the incorrect default value of "Jimmy" back to "Jim".

• 6. Re: HELP!! FM Pro spontaneously asking for and rejecting password
                    tcprgrp

Hi Phil,

Yes to the first part. "Jim" user name "xyz" password. 

Heres the deviation. While it is open, it begins asking me for the password. The user name is my name and the only account other than "intern", who has read only priveledges. I am the only one with access. I have one user name and one password, both written down and key chained. No one changed it, and I'm the only one with the ability to, and I didn't. 

• 7. Re: HELP!! FM Pro spontaneously asking for and rejecting password
                      philmodjunk

Heres the deviation. While it is open, it begins asking me for the password.

Do you mean that you can open the file and after it is open, it asks you for a password?

That sounds like you have a reference to a second file--with a different account name and password. When your first file encounters a reference to this second file, it attempts to open this second file with the same account name and password used to open the first file. If there is no such account Name | Password in the second file, a password login dialog will appear asking you for the account name and password to open that second file.

There's also a script step, Re-Login, that can be set to re-open the password dialog, If for some reason, that script is trapped in an infinite loop (and script triggers are one way you can get such an infinite loop), then such a script might present you with the password dialog over and over again. But such a script would not display an error message telling you that you entered the wrong password.

Do you get an error message after you try entering a password?

• 8. Re: HELP!! FM Pro spontaneously asking for and rejecting password
                        tcprgrp

The file was open before I restarted my computer. Now I cannot get in, but when I could, it began asking for a password spontaneously. 

There are only two users. Me, and "intern" which is an account I set up but has never been used by anyone. There is only one file. I can get on as a guest, but I can't do anything other than read. Theoretically, I could copy all of the volumes of information page by page, but that, at this point, is a little like copying over the phone book. Too big of a task. 

To reiterate. I cannot open the file in any way other than guest. There is only one user and only one password. It has not changed. It has been written down and stored in the keychain. But FM tells me it's incorrect and rejects it. 

• 9. Re: HELP!! FM Pro spontaneously asking for and rejecting password
                          philmodjunk

The file was open before I restarted my computer.

That suggests that your file is damaged. Usually any damage in access privileges triggers it's own special error message to help guard against a password hacking utility damaging the file. But this will not always be the case.

You tried Recover and that didn't find anything, but Recover doesn't always find damage made to a file. IF you haven't already, test the recovered copy even though recover didn't report any problems found to see if it opens correctly.

I recommend that you replace your file with an undamaged back up copy.