Summary

Hide formula becomes invisible after button is applied

Product

FileMaker Pro

Version

Operating system version

Mac OS-X

Description of the issue

If you create text object on a layout and assign it a formula to make it "hide" (new FM-13 feature) and then also make that text object into a button, the hide feature disappears but it remains assigned to the object, at least according to the little hide-badge.  But you can no longer edit the hide feature nor remove it, because it's invisible in the Inspector.

You can re-write the hide formula but it results in two hide-badges and if the two formulae disagree with each other then neither will work as expected

Steps to reproduce the problem

Make a text object
      Assign it a hide formula
      Assign it a button action
      Voila

Expected result

The hide formula should remain visible in the inspector until/unless it is removed.

Actual result

It vanishes as soon as the text object is used as a button

Exact text of any error message(s) that appear

not applicable

Screen_Shot_2014-04-23_at_3.32.59_PM.png

• 1. Re: Hide formula becomes invisible after button is applied
          dburnham

Even though I am logged in, the screen shot I uploaded seems to be invisible because it says I can't see it because I am not logged in.  But I am logged in.  

• 2. Re: Hide formula becomes invisible after button is applied
            philmodjunk

When you turn a layout object into a button, FileMaker creates a new invisible button object and groups it with the selected object(s) to create a group. This is why ungrouping such a button removes the button functionality.

For object specific properties in the inspector, if you select a grouped object, you see the properties, such as "hide object when" that have been specified for the group, not any one individual object within that group. Thus, when you specify the hide when expression for the button, you see two Hide When badges as that is what you have specified--one hide when expression for the visible object and one for the grouped object that was produced when you used button setup to turn it into a button. You'll find that object names specified in the inspector work the same way.

What we need is a way to use the inspector to see these settings for each individual member of the group as you won't want to ungroup a button just to get to see what properties have been set.

The best workaround for the moment is to wait until you've used button setup to group the object or object(s) with that invisible button object and then you can assign an object name or specify a "hide when" setting.