Hide object hide's other objects on same location

Product

FileMaker Pro

Version

FMPA 13

Operating system version

Mac OSX 10.10 - Yosemite

Description of the issue

2 Registerelements with alternate HideObject. Second Registerelements get falsely hidden when placed on top of first Registerelement.

Steps to reproduce the problem

Build a duplicate of 1 Registerelement.
      Assign formulas to both with formulas on same argument but one with "if = xy" and second with "if≠xy". Depending on the status, we get switched from one element to the other.
      This works, as long as the two elements are placed side-by-side.
      Placing second Element on same position as first Element (kind of layering objects on each other) let's second Element hide when argument of first Element is given.

Expected result

HideObject working on Element only and not on entire space on layout

Actual result

Enclosed Elements get also affected by the hide condition of layer below

Exact text of any error message(s) that appear

none

Workaround

Set a offset of 2 pixels for position of second layer (Element).
      Though switching thru records let's Elements jump with every "switch"

• 1. Re: Hide object hide's other objects on same location
          TSGal

Benjamin Fehr:

Thank you for your post.

I am unable to replicate the issue.  This is what I have done:

1. I created a table with one Number field "ID".

2. I created a layout and created two squares of equal size.  One has a fill of green, and the other has a fill of red.

3. For the red square, I set the "Hide object when" formula to:   ID = 1

4. For the green square, I set the "Hide object when" formula to:   ID ≠ 1

5. I placed the red square on top of the green square.

6. I went to browse, and entered 1 into ID.  The red square displays.

7. I changed the value of ID to 2, tabbed out of ID, and the green square displays.

Let me know what I'm doing differently than you so I can replicate the issue.

TSGal
          FileMaker, Inc.

• 2. Re: Hide object hide's other objects on same location
            Benjamin Fehr

TSGal:

Apologize. I'm using FMP German version. Registerelement => Tab Control

I'm confident that you can replicate this when doing same procedure with Tab Control (Tab Elements?) instead of table and fields.

For this category (Tab Control AND Slide Control) we had to learn that rendering behaviour might be different then that of simple fields or graphic objects.

Attd. Screenshot of workaround with 2 pixel offset for upper layered Tab Element

• 3. Re: Hide object hide's other objects on same location
              Benjamin Fehr

Screenshot with lower layer activated

• 4. Re: Hide object hide's other objects on same location
                Benjamin Fehr

Screenshot with upper layer activated with workaround 2 pixel offset

• 5. Re: Hide object hide's other objects on same location
                  TSGal

Benjamin Fehr:

I am still unable to replicate the issue.

I created the first tab control with tabs "A" and "B".  I duplicated the tab control, but renamed the tabs "1" and "2".  The first tab control (AB) has "Hide object when" formula set to:   ID = 1.  The second tab control (12) has "Hide object when" formula set to:   ID ≠ 1.

I then set the position of the second tab control (12) to the same coordinates of the first tab control (AB).  With ID=1, I see the first tab control.  When I change ID to 2, the second tab control (12) then appears.

Is it possible you placed the second tab control inside the first tab control panel?

TSGal
                  FileMaker, Inc.

• 7. Re: Hide object hide's other objects on same location
                    TSGal

Benjamin Fehr:

I downloaded the file.  Thank you.

On the layout, the first thing I noticed was the position of the bottom tab controls.  Specifically, the top value was 368.457 points.  Since you had a partial point value, I changed it to 368 points.  I then noticed that the topmost tab control did not have a "Hide object when" formula, so I moved the tab control up 10 points using the arrow key.

I was then able to select the back portal, and I was able to see the calculation for the Hide object when.  Specifically, if the Person or Patient radio button is not selected, it will hide.  Is there a reason why you didn't apply the opposite to the top tab control (Adressen::Auswahl = "Patient" or Adressen::Auswahl = "Person")?

I then switched to Position, and I noticed it also had the top value of 368.457 points, so I removed the fraction of a point down to 368. I also noticed the bottom left Position is 71 points, while the original was 72 points.  I made these the same, even though you appearance differences between the two.

So that the tab doesn't become part of the other tab, I click on the upper tab and change the top value from 358 to 368.

I now go to Browse, and I click on "Person", and I see two extra tab panels.  I click on "Spital", and the two tab panels disappear leaving me with only five tab panels.

I then moved the top panel by pressing the up arrow key once followed by the down arrow key once, as this places the upper tab control in the lower tab control.  Now, when I go to Browse, I see both panels disappear when I click on Spital.  Perhaps this is what you did?

If I then move the panel upwards again and move it into position using the Inspector (368 points), it then works as expected.

Let me know if you need additional clarification.

TSGal
                    FileMaker, Inc.

• 8. Re: Hide object hide's other objects on same location
                      Benjamin Fehr

Specifically, the top value was 368.457 points.

I did a quick copy/paste from my 400MB solution and didn't pay much attention for that FMP fraction issue.

Is there a reason why you didn't apply the opposite to the top tab control (Adressen::Auswahl = "Patient" or Adressen::Auswahl = "Person")?

I actually did. But the top Tab Control must be grouped for proper positioning. I also ungrouped the Top Control, deleted HideObject formula in every Tab, grouped it again and set the HideObject formula for the entire Group

If I then move the panel upwards again (with arrow key's) and move it into position using the Inspector (368 points), it then works as expected.

Didn't do the trick for me. Actually, it did after applying vertically AND horizontally! I think for the next such FM challenge, I'll need a dead chicken and the fresh blood of a leprechaun :-)

many thanks and kind regards

B

• 9. Re: Hide object hide's other objects on same location
                        philmodjunk

I'll need a dead chicken and the fresh blood of a leprechaun :-)

I thought those were standard equipment for any database geek worth his salt! wink