Summary

Hosts list

Product

FileMaker Pro

Version

Operating system version

Mac OS-X 10.10.4

Description of the issue

There seems to be no way to delete a Host.  I'm not talking about changing it from Favorite to not- favorite  I am talking about removing it from the list of Hosts altogether.

Steps to reproduce the problem

Add a host.  Then try to delete it from the list of hosts.
      It can't be done.

Expected result

the host item should vanish

Actual result

it doesn't

Exact text of any error message(s) that appear

n/a

Workaround

submit a bug report or search the plist files to see if that is a way to edit it

• 1. Re: Hosts list
          TSGal

Dennis Burnham:

Thank you for your post.

When a list of favorite hosts appear, click the icon to the right of the server name.  This action will remove the host from the list.

TSGal
          FileMaker, Inc.

• 2. Re: Hosts list
            dburnham

I wonder what this icon looks like.  I have never seen such an icon.  There is nothing to the right of the server names in my list of hosts,  The only icon is the one to the left of the server name which is used to make it a favorite or reverse that action.

Seems to me a minus sign beside the PLUS icon at the bottom of the list would be the most obvious tool but it does not exist either.

(See what I mean in the screenshot)

• 3. Re: Hosts list
              philmodjunk

TSGal may be misunderstanding what you want. Do you want to remove a host (hosted file actually) from the window even if it is currently hosting a file over your network?

You can control whether a given open file is or is not visible in the Hosts view if you open File | Sharing | Share with FileMaker Clients and set the "Don't display in Launch center" option.

• 4. Re: Hosts list
                dburnham

She did not misunderstand.  You did, Phil.  

I am not trying to remove or hide a file name.  I am trying to remove a host.

Here is the scenario.   You make a favorite host for a customer who has a server you need to connect to.   The company goes out of business and their server is no longer running.  You want to remove it from the Hosts list because it no longer exists,

It can't be done.

(BTW, another thing that can't be done is add a new paragraph in this text box.  You type return (Safari-Mac) and the cursor goes to the first line of the text box.)

• 5. Re: Hosts list
                  TSGal

Dennis Burnham:

My apologies!  I know what I meant but not what I wrote...

If you click the icon to the LEFT of the favorite host name (the star with disk drive), it will be removed.  If the favorite is on the local area network, then the host will still be listed (as all local area network drives are listed), but now listed after the favorites.

TSGal
                  FileMaker, Inc.

• 6. Re: Hosts list
                    dburnham

In addition, I have encountered another behavior:

I select a host and I see the words "No files are currently hosted in the <host name>".  Even when I toggle the Favorite star at the top of the host list, still no files appear.  

The fact is that there are files hosted.  If I used Edit Host to view the names of the files and copy the name of the one I want, and then if I use the Network Path to access the desired file, the filet opens properly but the list of files do not display in the Launch Center.

This was reported at Devcon and acknowledged as a known issue, but as yet not solved.

• 7. Re: Hosts list
                      dburnham

Getting closer ....

What you are describing is correct if you want to make a favorite host, and then un-make that favorite host.   I am fine with the concept of clicking the little start to designate the host as a favorite, which also happens to re-sort the list putting favorites above the non-favorites.

What I am describing is something else.   I want to remove the host altogether.  I don't want to see it ever again.   Imagine that the server caught fire and no longer exists.  Or the company went out of business.   Or they told me that they hired someone in-house and no longer need my services to access their server remotely.  If I want to remove that server from the list of hosts, it can't be done.

Except by deleting my plist file and rebuilding all the others in my list of 30 favorites.  Not fun.

• 8. Re: Hosts list
                        philmodjunk

She did not misunderstand.  You did, Phil.  

Not quite. If you check what I wrote again, I suggested an alternative way to read your original post as the dialog that lists these files is labeled "Host". Note that I asked this as a question. wink

But the main thing that I was trying to get TSGal to see was that she was talking about removing a host from Favorites and this was not what you were asking about.

• 9. Re: Hosts list
                          dburnham

But it IS what I am talking about.  I am NOT curious about the use of the new Favorites star and the way using it changes the sort order of the hosts.

What I really am talking about is Removing a Host.  There's a plus button to add a host, but there is nothing I can find to remove the host from the list.  I know I can delete my FileMaker Preferences and rebuild a new list, but that's a burdensome workaround.

All you have to do to test what I am saying is follow these 2 simple steps:

1. Make a new host
                          3. Try to remove it
                          • 10. Re: Hosts list
                            TSGal

Dennis Burnham:

If I enter a new external host, and it is viewable in the left pane of the Launch Center, I can click the star/disk icon to the left of the host name, and it will be moved out of the favorites and initially be listed with the other LAN servers.  If I then close the Launch Center and go to Open Remote again, that host will no longer be listed.

TSGal
                            FileMaker, Inc.

• 11. Re: Hosts list
                              dburnham

That is an interesting hypothesis, but it does not work that way on my computer.   When I remove the star from any of the servers, it indeed does drop down to the lower section of the list, the ones that I have been calling non-favorites.   And then, I can open and close the Launch Center repeatedly but those unfavorite servers are still in view.  Nothing disappears.

A reason why I think it would be faulty to have it behave the way you describe is that if it disappeared altogether, I would not be able to use it in the future.  Of course, that is what I want to have happen with certain servers and that is the reason for this threaded conversation with you -- but it is NOT what I want to have happen to the ones that I don't consider favorites.   

Favorites is a handy way of giving preferential treatment to the ones we use more often than others.   You've given me two ways to look at my favorite hosts:  I can view all my servers with the favorite ones above the non-favorite ones, or I can click the star at the top of the Open Remote list of hosts and thereby filter the list to show me ONLY the favorites.

However, I can't get rid of a host altogether, if I want to --- and your suggested method of closing the Open Remote dialog does not accomplish it.  I can make a movie to prove it if necessary.

• 12. Re: Hosts list
                                TSGal

Dennis Burnham:

Again, FileMaker Pro will display all servers on the local area network.  In essence, I can only remove hosts that are not on the LAN.  If the hosts are on the LAN, they cannot be removed.  If your host cannot be removed, I suspect that host is on the LAN.

Try the following:

1. Open "Open Remote" and add a new host.  Give it the address 80.80.80.80 and name it "TEST".
                                2. Close the Launch Center.
                                3. Open the Launch Center, and you will see "TEST" at the top.  Click the star/disk icon to move it out of favorites.
                                4. Notice "TEST" now appears in the section below the favorites.
                                5. Close and reopen the Launch Center.  "TEST" has been removed.

TSGal
                                FileMaker, Inc.

• 13. Re: Hosts list
                                  dburnham

This is now a double-edged sword.   Please consider these two scenarios, which are common for developers who sometimes visit with clients at their location.   When I am at a client's location, I need to access their server and the hosted files using their LAN IP.  I like to be able to save that in my list of Hosts so that when I return to their office the next time, I don't have to consult their IT manager for the correct IP address, or look it up in my records to add it again (and again and again) to my Hosts list.  Obviously, when I am working on their database remotely, I use the WAN IP address.

1.  If I cannot (for the reason described earlier in this thread) delete some obsolete Hosts from the Open Remote List when I want to or need to, I am stuck with some obsolete hosts that I would prefer to discard.

2. If the LAN hosts do expire, as you describe they will when Open Remote is closed and re-opened, then it causes me to lose certain Hosts that I don't consider "favorite" yet I still want to keep them handy for my on-site visits to those locations.

My goodness, it seems like such a simple request to have a "minus" button beside the "plus" button in the Launch Center.  After all, we have a plus and minus button in the Manage Favorites dialog.   All too often, I find that the engineering of FileMaker dialogs and options does not take into consideration the way developers work.   In this case, it's designed well for someone whose work is always done on the same workstation, not a laptop that travels around.

• 14. Re: Hosts list
                                    TSGal

Dennis Burnham:

If you go to a client's location and get the LAN IP, then add it as an external IP Address.  This will be kept as a Favorite.  You can take this back to your office and access the file remotely.  For example, if you are at the client's site, and you notice that the host you want to access has IP Address 70.70.70.70, add a new custom host using that same IP Address, and name it "7070".  When you save it, you will see "7070" at the top of the Favorites list, and you will also see listed under the non-Favorites the original listing.  The "7070" will only disappear if you remove it.  You can then go back to your office and a different LAN, and "7070" will be listed, but the original 70.70.70.70 listing will be absent because you are not on the same LAN.  The "7070" listing will not disappear unless you manually remove it.

Your number 2 sentence above is false.  If a LAN (not WAN) host is either offline or expired, then FileMaker Pro will not display it.  When you go to Open Remote, you will see the Favorites listed first, followed by the hosts that exist on the LAN.  Any host that is on the LAN cannot be removed, as FileMaker will always display the hosts on the current LAN.  If you have a laptop that travels around, then I would add all the necessary hosts from clients as favorites.  That way, no matter which LAN you log into, access to the client hosts are available.

TSGal
                                    FileMaker, Inc.

1 2 3 Previous Next