2 Replies Latest reply on Oct 14, 2011 2:20 PM by TSGal

Hourly Image Snapshot / backup of server by Axcient-will it corrupt the Filemaker database on server

LarryStevens1719

Summary

Hourly Image Snapshot / backup of server by Axcient-will it corrupt the Filemaker database on server

Product

FileMaker Server

Version

Operating system version

windows 2003 sp2

Description of the issue

While my users are in filemaker Pro version 11 on their Pc's and use Win 7 and if I install Filemaker Pro 11 server edition on my Win 2003 sp2 server - I am afraid that when the snapshot or image by my Axcient system occurs every hour, there is a good chance that my concurrent use of filemaker during these snapshot image backs will corrupt the Filemaker Database on the server. Is anyone successfully doing this type of snapshopt hourly full image backups of their server when using Filemaker Pro 11?

Steps to reproduce the problem

I am told by Filemaker support that it is likely that I can corrupt the server database(s) if I do any kind of backup while filemaker is running.

Expected result

I may be able to write a script ot stop Filemaker servioes before the snapshot takes place and then re-start the Filemaker service after the snapshot is complete, but this coding must be perfect to work every time plus my users will not be able to use Filemaker during the time the snapshot is taking place.  I am backing up 115gb on the server so it likely takes 10-20 minutes for the snalshot to complete.

Actual result

Need help to know if I am worried for no reason or better not use the server version of Filemaker PRo

Exact text of any error message(s) that appear

n/a

Configuration information

i5 Pc and HP ml350g5 with win 2003 sp2
      Axcient backup and failover device.  If I use file backups only, the customer loses the ability to failover to this Axcient device/server plus 1/2 TB data storage.

Workaround

any ideas?

• 1. Re: Hourly Image Snapshot / backup of server by Axcient-will it corrupt the Filemaker database on server
          philmodjunk

The issue is not whether or not you use server, but whether the file is open at the time it is backed up. If it is open, the backed up file can be damaged and at the very least will trigger a consistency check if the backup copy is ever opened. Large FileMaker files can take a while to open if this is the case.

Tech support has long indicated that the open file itself can be damaged by this process. I am unclear as to the details as to how this can happen, but you are better off setting up FileMaker on a dedicated machine and using server to generate backups of the open files safely. A utility script can then copy a closed backup copy of the file from the server to a differnt location.

• 2. Re: Hourly Image Snapshot / backup of server by Axcient-will it corrupt the Filemaker database on server
            TSGal

Larry Steven1719:

Thank you for your post.

The information from PhilModJunk is correct (Thank you!).

FileMaker Server does have Schedules that give you the ability to backup data files at a specified interval.  Using your example, you can set FileMaker Server to back up all data files on an hourly basis.

When FileMaker Pro opens a file locally, a flag is set to let FileMaekr Pro know the file is open.  When the file closes, any changes left in the cache are written to the file and the flag is set back to a "closed" state.  If FileMaker Pro suddenly quits with the file open, the flag is still set to "open".  The next time you open that file, FileMaker Pro sees the flag already set to "open", so FileMaker Pro will then go through the file, perform a consistency check to make sure the file is usable, especially if the crash occurred as data was being written, or partial changes to a layout, or worse, partial changes to field and/or table definitions.

Let me know if you need additional clarification.

TSGal
            FileMaker, Inc.