Summary

How to share files in a network?

Product

FileMaker Server

Version

Operating system version

Mac OS X 10.6.8

Description of the issue

I want to share files in a local network of 3 machines. I am using two-machine deployment. One machine acts as the master for the database server, and the other machine as the worker for the web server, the web publishing engine, and web server module. The third machine is also a worker/client.

I have also install a FileMaker Pro on all 3 machines. Now I want be able to share the files and make it available to the clients/workers so they can edit the data using it simultaneously. I am not sure how to do that. I have tried uploading the databases using the Upload Database Assistant so I can have it on the server, thus then available to the clients/workers. I have also tried enabling file sharing, in sharing of system preferences of the computers. However doing it this way I am unable to have a file open at the same time for both clients/workers.

How can I share a file through the database and have it open to the clients/workers at the same time so they can edit the data while the file is open on two or more machines(clients/workers)?

Also, how do I open a file/database using the FileMaker Server?

Outcomes