1 2 3 Previous Next 74 Replies Latest reply on May 20, 2016 2:38 PM by TSGal

Huge bug in FileMaker 14: Can no longer see full comments in scripts!!

scottworld

Summary

Huge bug in FileMaker 14: Can no longer see full comments in scripts!!

Product

FileMaker Pro

Version

Operating system version

Os X 10.0.3

Description of the issue

There is a major, gigantic bug in the new FileMaker 14 that has made it completely impossible for any developer to write scripts in FileMaker 14. Whenever you double-click on a comment line in a script, FileMaker 14 is SUPPOSED TO SHOW YOU THE FULL TEXT OF THE ENTIRE COMMENT. However, this only works about 10% of the time. The other 90% of the time, FileMaker 14 HIDES the full text of the comment, and gives you ABSOLUTELY NO WAY to view the full text of the entire comment. In previous versions of FileMaker, the full text of comments WERE ALWAYS FULLY VISIBLE. But not anymore. Now, FileMaker 14 CUTS OFF THE TEXT OF 90% of the comments. Please see 2 screenshots below. The first screenshot shows you how perfect things used to be in FileMaker 13. The second screenshot shows you how terrible things have become in FileMaker 14. Please fix this bug ASAP!

Screen_Shot_2015-06-02_at_12.50.27_AM.png

• 1. Re: Huge bug in FileMaker 14: Can no longer see full comments in scripts!!
          scottworld
          /files/d6bf0a4989/Screen_Shot_2015-06-02_at_12_40_36_AM.png 1562x1084
          • 2. Re: Huge bug in FileMaker 14: Can no longer see full comments in scripts!!
            scottworld

This bug is one of the Top 10 Major Bugs in FileMaker Pro 14 that are making it IMPOSSIBLE for us to work in this new version. Just curious: does nobody at FileMaker test these new releases for real-world usage before releasing them to the public?

• 3. Re: Huge bug in FileMaker 14: Can no longer see full comments in scripts!!
              DavidJondreau

This certainly looks really annoying and I hope FMI does something, but in the meantime there are some work arounds.

My process (on a Mac) is:
              click into the comment field (which selects the entire comment).
              hit the left arrow key (to deselect the entire comment)
              option-arrow-right to skip word by word through the comment.
              While I'm at it, I'll add line breaks (using option-return) so that the next time I want to view the comment, I just need to click into the comment line.

• 4. Re: Huge bug in FileMaker 14: Can no longer see full comments in scripts!!
                scottworld

Thanks so much, David, for the workaround of using the keyboard shortcuts to skip word-by-word and then hitting option-return to create line breaks. As you said, this is certainly not the ideal solution (as it just took me an hour to fix 30 scripts with this methodology -- UGH!), but at least this does indeed work as a workaround. Thank you! :)

• 5. Re: Huge bug in FileMaker 14: Can no longer see full comments in scripts!!

scotty321 & David Jondreau:

Thank you for the post and replies.

At this time, #Comment lines do not wrap multiple lines. If you would like to see a change in this behavior, I would encourage you to enter this as a suggestion into our Feature Requests web form at:

http://www.filemaker.com/company/contact/feature_request.html

These web form suggestions are monitored and read by our Development and Product Management departments and then discussed and considered for a future release. Although I could copy and paste your post into the web form, there are some questions asked that only you can answer.

TSFalcon

FileMaker, Inc.

• 6. Re: Huge bug in FileMaker 14: Can no longer see full comments in scripts!!
                    hschlossberg

I wish this were a bug, Scott.  I'm sure a lot of people have complained about it and I'm also sure it would have been "fixed" had it not been by design.  

HOWEVER, there IS what I'd consider a BUG here in that rolling your mouse over the comment does not display a tooltip to show the full comment.  Such tooltips were utilized for seemingly every other script step, so I would call the fact that it is missing on the Comment step is a bug.  And it's yet one more thing that makes 14 annoying to use on a regular basis.

• 7. Re: Huge bug in FileMaker 14: Can no longer see full comments in scripts!!
                      scottworld

Thanks, Howard. I couldn't agree with you more. TSFalcon, I do not believe that you should be categorizing this as a feature request. This is clearly a bug in the product which never existed before, and it must be fixed by the engineers ASAP. Can you please escalate to the engineers immediately? WE CAN NOT USE A PRODUCT WHICH DOESN'T ALLOW US TO READ THE COMMENTS! This product is a complete nightmare.

• 8. Re: Huge bug in FileMaker 14: Can no longer see full comments in scripts!!
                        scottworld

I love how FileMaker Inc. is like, "Oh sorry, you actually want to READ your comments? Yeah, why don't you put that in as a feature request. Maybe in some future version -- in the year 2030 -- we'll actually LET YOU READ YOUR COMMENTS that you type into a script." That would be like Microsoft saying, "Oh! You actually want to read what you type into Microsoft Word? Maybe in the next version." This is truly & utterly ridiculous, and the response from TSFalcon above is not acceptable to me.

• 9. Re: Huge bug in FileMaker 14: Can no longer see full comments in scripts!!
                          scottworld

Has there ever been a previous version of FileMaker that didn't let you read the comments that you type in a script? No, there hasn't. But brand new to FileMaker 14 is the greatest feature of all: you can't read your comments!

• 10. Re: Huge bug in FileMaker 14: Can no longer see full comments in scripts!!

I agree with you Scotty, that the comments should be more easily viewable in some manner (e.g. double clicking on them).  My workaround for these long comment problems has been to duplicate the script step, open the new step, highlight the text of the comment up until the edge of my typical editing screen, delete that text to leave the remaining text visible as a new comment.  I also delete the hidden part of the comment from the original step.  Repeat as needed.  Not the easiest thing to do, and frustrating that we have to edit our comments at all.

However, from a purely technical stand point, and I believe the gist of TSFalcon's point of view, is that the comments are working as designed, thus it isn't a bug.  A difference in the user's mental model of how it 'should' work vs. how they actually designed it to work isn't a bug in the program, just a bug in their design. 

You can actually recreate this inability to read the comment in 13:  write a really long comment and then move your script editing window narrower so that you can't read it all in one go.  The difference is that 13 allowed you to double click to bring up a pop-up  window that showed the whole comment.  14 is missing this feature.

Maybe there should be a conversion process for scripts, if moving from 13, one that converts longer comments into multiple lines instead of leaving them on a single line.

• 11. Re: Huge bug in FileMaker 14: Can no longer see full comments in scripts!!
                              scottworld

Thanks, Justin, for your thoughts. That is an interesting workaround that you described: creating multiple comment lines from one comment line. I like the idea of a conversion process for scripts to break up comments into multiple lines, but even better would be for them to implement that double-clicking ability that we had in previous versions of FileMaker: double-clicking revealing the entire comment.

• 12. Re: Huge bug in FileMaker 14: Can no longer see full comments in scripts!!
                                TonyWhite

Hi TSFalcon

Regarding: http://forums.filemaker.com/posts/d7d0b55896?commentId=331388#331388

Having read the entire thread, a few points:

“Comment lines do not wrap multiple lines” seem more like a bug than a feature request. Perhaps a design bug rather than an implementation bug. Designers can make mistakes too!

I like that we can see bug reports from other developers, collaborate on feedback, and move the platform forward.

Is there a way to see feature request in the same way as FMI has implemented for bug reports?

If not, then I will say that I do NOT like that you can NOT see feature requests, not even your own!

* Why would we want to waste developer time submitting a feature that has already been submitted?
                                * Why would we want to make it impossible for developers to comment on feature requests?

I am better off submitting issues as bugs because at least I get to hear what other have to say. (Often it is hard to say whether an issue is a bug or a feature. There is no hard line.)

Obviously FileMaker, Inc. is free to :
                                * choose what to implement in their products
                                * reply or not reply to posts here or on the community site.

That said, facilitating community feedback is useful to developers and good for the platform.

Sometimes secrecy can go to far and be counter productive. Is that the case here?

By the way, I flagged you comment only because I wanted to see what the Action+Down arrow menu did. There was no choice (bad user interface) and no way to undo (bad user interface). An example of bugs based on designs mistakes.
                                <!--EndFragment-->

Tony White

• 13. Re: Huge bug in FileMaker 14: Can no longer see full comments in scripts!!
                                  DavidJondreau

Different programming languages handle comments differently. Take FileMaker's calculation commenting. You can single line comment using // or multi-line comment using /* */. The Script Workspace is an attempt to make scripting more like coding, including line numbering. Most people consider a new line to require a new number. I'm guessing the workspace developers had to decide how to handle that and made a choice. Another option would have been to allow "returns" in comments, but that may have messed up other developers workflows (hitting "enter" on any function "activates" some options) or messed up their line numbering. Choices.

"Why would we want to waste developer time submitting a feature that has already been submitted?"

The more times a feature is submitted, the more importance FMI may assign to it.

• 14. Re: Huge bug in FileMaker 14: Can no longer see full comments in scripts!!
                                    scottworld

There is no programming language on the entire planet that doesn't let the developers see the entire length of their comments that they have typed into a line. In all programming languages on the entire planet, a comment will visually wrap onto the next line if it reaches the end of that particular line. For FileMaker Inc. to ignore this ridiculous bug in FileMaker 14 shows how amateur the engineers behind FileMaker are.

1 2 3 Previous Next