Huge Empty FM Server 14 stderr Log File

Product

FileMaker Server

Version

14.0v2

Operating system version

OS X 10.10.3

Description of the issue

The main HD with FileMaker Server installed on it was out of space due to extremely large /Library/FileMaker Server/Logs/stderr file over 200 GB.  FM Server was stuck and could not shut down so I had to force quit FMS and all FM tasks.  Before I cleared the stderr file I did a "tail" and all the lines that I could find were blank.

Steps to reproduce the problem

Unknown.  The FMS 14 had been running for about a month

Expected result

stderr should not fill up with blank lines

Actual result

it was full of blank lines

Exact text of any error message(s) that appear

All errors that appeared were related to out-of-disk and not the stderr itself

Configuration information

Mac Mini Core i5 with 256 GB SSD boot drive and backups on external volume.  Databases about 16 GB total with container storage.

Workaround

After forcing everything out I realized that I could clear the log file without stopping everything by doing:

cd /Library/FileMaker Server/Logs
      sudo cp /dev/null stderr

Screen_Shot_2015-07-21_at_6.25.05_AM.png

• 1. Re: Huge Empty FM Server 14 stderr Log File
          TSGal

John Duncan:

Thank you for your post.

stderr should not have excessive blank lines, and no similar issue has been reported.  I do not know what would cause this issue, but I can assure you it is not normal.

My recommendation would be to stop FileMaker Server, move your database files from the Databases folder to the Desktop, uninstall FileMaker Server, remove the FileMaker Server folder, and reinstall.  Once installed, move the database files from the Desktop to the FileMaker Server Databases folder.

If you notice any further oddities with the the stderr file, please let me know.

TSGal
          FileMaker, Inc.

• 2. Re: Huge Empty FM Server 14 stderr Log File
            JohnDuncan

At the time the problem occurred I truncated stderr using the method I mentioned above and restarted the server machine.  So far it has been running for 8 days and stderr is only 8KB and has not been growing.  I'll post again if the problem re-occurs and I am keeping an eye on other servers to see if I spot the same problem.

• 3. Re: Huge Empty FM Server 14 stderr Log File
              dwhoughton

I have had a similar situation occur. Ran out of disk space, had to force shut down everything. Made room by deleting some extraneous back up files related to an ERP upgrade. Everything running ok again but did an OmniSweep and saw that the FMS logs folder was over 30GBs. Can I simply delete the stderr log file? Will a new one be generated then?

• 4. Re: Huge Empty FM Server 14 stderr Log File
                TSGal

dwhoughton:

Yes, you can delete the stderr.log file, but not while FileMaker Server is running.  Be sure to not only stop FileMaker Server, but also any corresponding services.  Then, delete stderr.log file, and reboot the server.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.