9 Replies Latest reply on Mar 26, 2010 7:51 AM by JonJ

I am right to assume that FM10 will never get any further updates?

Steve Wright

Summary

I am right to assume that FM10 will never get any further updates?

Description of the issue

Not a bug, but I feel it is still in the correct suggestion, considering the topic.... Just so I am clear (and everybody else) is it now correct to assume that Filemaker 10 will no longer receive any updates / patchesto those issues /bugs presented, considering the last update was about 7 or so months ago ?    

• 1. Re: I am right to assume that FM10 will never get any further updates?
          TSGal

SWS:

Your assumption is generally correct.  We rarely revisit prior versions once a new version has been released.  With that said, I don't know if version 10 will be revisited.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

• 2. Re: I am right to assume that FM10 will never get any further updates?
            mrvodka

...and this exact practice is what I have been complaining about all this time. This policy is the one that I think that FMI should review thoroughly. How can one state that they "support" a version if a bug is foound and they do no updates to fix it? What exactly does one get with "support" then?

• 3. Re: I am right to assume that FM10 will never get any further updates?
              Steve Wright

That certainly was the wrong answer....  :-(   this needs some serious review from FMI.

Problems which have been reported and acknowledged in FM10 SHOULD be revisited.  

Its not as if the last update was a month ago, the last update was around 7 months ago....

Although 11 is new, why should anybody purchase it knowing this is what they are to expect....

11 has already introduced new problems which did not exist in 10, judging by this and historic behaviour, these new issues are likely to be put to the bottom of the list pending the release of filemaker 12, 13, 14, 15 if ever...

I for one feel like its a losing battle with FM.   Its a shame...

I was excited about FM11 due to the windows flicker issues being resolved, but for instance the portal scrolling issue makes things worse than before, to the point where I certainly wont deploy my solution using FM11.  Not knowing if such an issue will be fixed EVER is even worse !

• 4. Re: I am right to assume that FM10 will never get any further updates?
                mrvodka

Well I feel that FMI is finally making some strides to improve themselves. Unfortunately, some of the practices such as this is what stop them from greater achievements.

As I said in my "plea" post a few months ago:

http://forum-en.filemaker.com/t5/Provide-feedback/A-last-plea-to-FMI-Inc/m-p/33302

I know that it was already too late for major changes in FMP11 as it was already showcases for the most part at DevCon. That is why I specifically stated FMP12. This give them a FULL development cycle and basically 2 years to review their practices. If again I do not see enough strides to #1 even acknowledge their faults and #2 move towards improve relationships with their customer base then I feel that I have done whatever I could do to stay loyal and given it enough chances. The evaluations of competing softwares have already been done and we will be in a position to make the change if ever the time comes.

I am not one to pose threats and frankly FMI may dismiss it as just a digruntled user. However,  that is not the case. I as well as many other long time developers have been loyal to their product. I think that sometimes FMI forgets the fact that we developers are proponents and extended sales people for THEIR product as well as being customers ourselves. How would our customers whether in house or clientel react if we acted as such to bug fixes or upgrade practices? Would we be excused or fired?

I will keep reminding them about how I feel even though it may go on deaf ears as me being a complainer. Hopefully this year will not be my last DevCon.

Again FMI... I am not asking for a complete change to your business model but rather the ones that make the company look like crap. Please show us that you are listening!

• 5. Re: I am right to assume that FM10 will never get any further updates?
                  mrvodka

One additional thing...

If FMI decided to come out with 5 patches to Fix the serious bugs that still exist in FMP11 then I would forgive all the past. Start frresh. :-p

It would be worth the upgrade price.

• 6. Re: I am right to assume that FM10 will never get any further updates?
                    Steve Wright

I agree.

I can be very forgiving and FM11 brings a lot to the table for me as a developer and make more than a worthwhile upgrade.

But the serious bugs need addressing.

• 7. Re: I am right to assume that FM10 will never get any further updates?
                      JoshO.

Well said, my friend.

"Support" has not been a good selling point for FileMaker.  It's in the sales pitch, but I never bring it up.  Dropping actual support from a product that is only a year on the market is crazy.  Then add to it that many of the complaints/bugs that developers have been vocal about since the version's release are not even addressed in the next release...crazy.

v11...they seem to have fixed much of the flash issue.  But what about all the other problems that are on this forum alone.  Why not addresses the majority of the bugs?  I know they can't all be fixed at once...but I'm starting to think that FileMaker hired someone out of Microsoft's bug fixing department.

Fix a decent number of these problems...same as mr_vodka...past forgiven.  Please, someone needs to get in the engineers' ears...

• 8. Re: I am right to assume that FM10 will never get any further updates?
                        rdulys

I agree...  If they were to release a Version 11 and they said we have address at least a few of the old bugs from the last version AND here are some new features too.

But no, they want us to pay $299 to upgrade to new features with same old bugs.

And you are right in the fact that we also SELL their product for them.  Most of my users NEED the the full program to use the save to PDF feature.  You would think they would want to try and keep addressing old issues so we will be content with the product and not feel like we are being left behind because we choose to stick with version 10.

I for one don't find you to be a disgruntle user, just a user who wants a little support.

• 9. Re: I am right to assume that FM10 will never get any further updates?
                          JonJ

I completely agree.

It is a frustrating waste of my time tracking down bugs -- getting to the point where I am sure it is not an error on my part, but a real bug -- if nothing then happens when I report them.   My brief go with the trial version of FM11 indicates that most of the bugs in the sendmail script step from v10 are still there.    

I also recall being shocked at FM's solution to the issues with v8.5 and Vista (e.g. the screen going black in layout mode) -- wait until v9!  The same is true with the screen flickering with v10 and Win7 -- wait for v11!  As a school eligible for educational discounts this is irritating but at least it's financially possible. Imagine if I had just shelled out a few hundred dollars for a personal copy of v10 to use on my new Win7 laptop!    

FM seem to be relying on clients having 'bought-in' to a filemaker solution and being reluctant to migrate to something in an Access, MySQL, etc.

Comparing FM with the 'Microsoft' school of bug fixes seems a little unfair -- Windows 2000 has only just reached end-of-life ten years after its release -- our one legacy 2k server has been receiving regular automatic updates all of that time (some that did indeed fix bugs).  FM10 seems to have reached end-of-life after just 14 months!

I'd appreciate it if:

1.  FM moved at least some of their product-development team to help fix existing bugs.  It's great to have 'wizzo' new gizmos, like the graphs built in to v11, but I'd much rather sendmail worked as advertised!

2. FM could send out a comprehensive bug-list for the 'retired' versions -- letting me know comprehensively what does not work with v10.0.3.  This would save me literally hundreds of hours of fruitless database design, troubleshooting, searching through forums, etc., trying to solve a problem that cannot be solved.