3 Replies Latest reply on Jul 21, 2011 8:34 AM by TSGal

I have been working with the invoicing starter solution, and am having problems with the portal

DianeBrabers

Summary

I have been working with the invoicing starter solution, and am having problems with the portal

Product

FileMaker Pro

Version

11.0v3

Operating system version

Windows 7

Description of the issue

After entering a few product records on the product tab, the pull down box on the invoice tab only reflects the first item keyed.  I believe there is something wrong with how the article table is populating.  I have not been able to figure out how the product information is getting to the article table.   I am new to Filemaker, so I really could use some help.

Steps to reproduce the problem

Open the invoicing starter solution.

Enter a few products on the products tab.

Add a new record to the invoice tab, and check the pull down box under the productcode.

Expected result

You should see all of the product codes entered on the products tab in the productcode pull down box on the invoice tab.

Actual result

You should have the same problem where only the first product entered appears in the productcode pull down box.

Exact text of any error message(s) that appear

No error messages appear.

Configuration information

None

Workaround

None

Schermafbeelding_2011-07-18_om_20.14.02.jpg

• 1. Re: I have been working with the invoicing starter solution, and am having problems with the portal
          TSGal

Diane Brabers:

Thank you for your post.

I am unable to replicate the problem.  Here are the steps I took:

1. After launching the Invoices.fp7 file, I clicked on the Products tab.

2. I created ten records/products, and the Product ID's were automatically created from 1 through 10 consecutively.

3. I clicked the Invoices tab.

4. I entered a new record, and when I put my cursor in the Product ID field, a drop-down showed all ten Product ID's along with the Product Name.

Let me know what I'm doing differently than you, and I'll try to replicate the problem.

TSGal
          FileMaker, Inc.

• 2. Re: I have been working with the invoicing starter solution, and am having problems with the portal
            DianeBrabers

I'm sorry, I looked back at my work, and I realize that I had changed a field.  The starter solution is designed such that the productcode is automatically generated as a sequential number.  This number also drives the billing system.  For us, that number doesn't mean anything, so I was attempting to change it to a user defined number.  Once I made the change, the pull down menu on the invoice tab stopped working.  I am having difficulty understanding how and when the article table is being populated, as well as how the portal is getting the productcode information.

Please forgive my newbie mistake.  I hope you didn't spend too much time on it for me.  Thank you so much for your help.  I really could use it.

• 3. Re: I have been working with the invoicing starter solution, and am having problems with the portal
              TSGal

Diane Brabers:

Probably the best way to learn how this file works is to go into Manage Database (from the File menu) and click the Relationships tab.  This gives a graphical display of the different tables and how they are inter-related.  Notice there is a line between tables to show there is some relationship between two tables.  Halfway between two connected tables is a small icon that when double-clicked displays the Relationship information.  Specifically, double-click the icon between the Invoices and Line Items tables.  In the upper portion, you will see that the "Invoice ID" field under the Invoices table matches up with the "Invoice ID" from the Line Items table.  At the bottom, you will see a check mark on the right side that says "Allow creation of records in this table via this relationship".  This allows you to add records to the Line Items from the Invoices table, and it will automatically populate the "Invoice ID" in the Line Items table with the current "Invoice ID" from the Invoices table.

This should give you a good starting point.  Let me know if you need additional clarification.

TSGal
              FileMaker, Inc.