10 Replies Latest reply on Aug 26, 2013 12:46 PM by philmodjunk

I have no password protection, but file asks for password!!!

gbdoc

Summary

I have no password protection, but file asks for password!!!

Product

FileMaker Pro

Version

8.5v2

Operating system version

Mac OS 10.6.6

Description of the issue

Been using FMP since v1 for my monthly accounts (now up to 8.5). I've never set password protection (I'm the only user of my Mac). For over two decades, every month I open the last month's file, duplicate it, and make a new month. Today, I can't open last month's (or any!!!) FMP file, it always asks for a password - which, since I've never set I don't know. AND ... I can create new FM files, but as soon as they're closed, they also ask for a password to open.

How can I undo all this password stuff? HELP!!!

Exact text of any error message(s) that appear

Open "filename" using:
      Guest Account (is greyed out)
      Account Name and Password (selected)
      Account Name: (filled out)
      Password: (blank)

Remember theis password in my keychain (unchecked)

Change Password      Cancel   OK  (all clickable)

• 1. Re: I have no password protection, but file asks for password!!!
          PeterSenesac

I have the same problem  all of a sudden I can't get into severl databases.  I nver gave a password to any of them.  did you find a solution?

• 2. Re: I have no password protection, but file asks for password!!!
            philmodjunk

Can you open the file by entering Admin as the account name and then leaving the password box empty?

• 3. Re: I have no password protection, but file asks for password!!!
              PeterSenesac

yes that works with v 9 for windows.  I used lower case  and that worked for me.  If that doesn't do it try doing a recovery first  although I don't think it did anything , I did do that first.

• 4. Re: I have no password protection, but file asks for password!!!
                gbdoc

Phil, it works!!! Thanx a million! But do you have any idea how it got that way in the first place, and can I can do anything to protect myself against this happening in the future? Corrupted pref file? Virus (but I'm on a Mac!!!)?

• 5. Re: I have no password protection, but file asks for password!!!
                  philmodjunk

In File Options, theres a setting for auto-entering a passwod that should be set up to enter "Admin" as the account name and leave the password box empty. The "log in Using" box should be checked. This is supposed to be the default setting for any new file created. From your post, I'm guessing that this option was somehow changed in the file that you are "duplicating each moth".

BTW, making a new copy each month of your file seems like an unusual thing to do with a FileMaker database. Why do that? (Back up copies should be made much more frequently.)

• 6. Re: I have no password protection, but file asks for password!!!
                    gbdoc

Yes, I notice that now, and I've set it accordingly; I have no idea how it ever got re-set. The reason for my monthly duplicates: what I actually do is this: I'm a psychoanalyst, having few patients at a time, but those for very long periods (years, during which many things change - fee, sometimes address and phone number, even surname, etc.), so that my patients and patient load only differs only slightly from month to month. The usual differences are notes, and the number of hours of treatment that month. I have all my patient data - everything, diagnosis, notes, fees, reports, and a lot of other details of all the patients I've ever had - in a file. But I want to be able to easily separate monthly developments - mostly, but not exclusively, how often I saw the patient each month, for billing purposes. So what I did long ago is make the file "PtData" a kind of "repeating file" PtData201001, PtData201002, etc. The way I make the next month's file is to duplicate, for instance "PtData201002", which gives me "PtData201002 copy", which I then re-name to "PtData201003".

I've always felt pretty competent using FMP, though no expert, and for years (decades!) I've had the feeling that I should be able to do all this much more elegantly within one single file, without all of this "repeating file" stuff, but despite fits and spurts of fooling around with it and trying various strategies, I've been unsuccessful, so this is my next-best solution. It's a little embarrassing, but it works.

• 7. Re: I have no password protection, but file asks for password!!!
                      philmodjunk

There's no need to create new copies of your database just to keep data from different months separate. If that works for you, you don't have to change that approach, but I'd think there would be cases when you would need to search back over records over a span of more than one month. With date fields to identify the date each record is created/modified, you can work with data for one month at a time quite easily without having to use a separate file for each month.

• 8. Re: I have no password protection, but file asks for password!!!
                        gbdoc

Ahhh, Phil, you're right on every count, and I never doubted it. But I could never get repeating fields and portals and relationships and such sufficiently clear in my mind that it would play. That's why I'm so embarrassed. Embarassed

• 9. Re: I have no password protection, but file asks for password!!!
                          RicardoKhan

Hi all

I have a similar problem with a fm4 file. It was working without any problems then all of a sudden it started asking me for a password.

The file is not set to open requesting a password , one can just open the file, but last week one day it just started asking me for a password. There are some accounts in the file and even though I know the passwords for these accounts, the file is not accepting it.

I am not sure if the file is corrupted, or if the priviledges are corrupted , or what the actual problem is.
                               I need to get the data out of this file quite urgently, so if there is somebody that can assist me , it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanking you

• 10. Re: I have no password protection, but file asks for password!!!
                            philmodjunk

This thread is old enough that posts made to it no longer pop it up in Recent Items. I noticed it purely by accident. I believe that you've made at least two other posts on this. TSFalcon made one guess as to the issue and I responded over in the FM Forum section.

I can only observe that protecting a Filemaker 4 file requires defining a password for that file and this would seem to be an impossible thing to "just happen". Someone had to define that password. If you are dealing with a converted file, please refer to TSFalcon's post as that was his guess on why you are having an issue here.