AnsweredAssumed Answered

Identical numbers won’t relate (Excel/FM issue)

Question asked by LaRetta_1 on Jun 23, 2010
Latest reply on Jun 25, 2010 by tyt3

Summary

Identical numbers won’t relate (Excel/FM issue)

Description of the issue

FileMaker Product(s) involved:Several versions. I’ve tested 9, 10 and 11 Operating System(s) involved:Windows XP Professional 2002 SP2 Detail description of the issue:This may be similar (or same) as bug posted herehttp://forum-en.filemaker.com/t5/Report-a-bug/Upon-Excel-file-being-created-any-post-formatting-to-the-Excel/m-p/35798/highlight/true#M4281 Exact steps to reproduce the issue:Download this file. I have done the work for you.  There is a New Microsoft Excel Worksheet.xls used for Test2.  I typed the number manually and did not change formatting.  There is an Excel Tests.doc which explains the tests in detail and also points out a pattern I observed (although the pattern makes no logic).  And there is the ExcelTest.fp7.  You can run Test 1 and Test 2 and see the problem immediately. Expected Result:If I SaveAsExcel a decimal number, such as 208.02 and then import it back into FileMaker, the result should be 208.02 Actual Result:The actual result is 208.02000000000001 and it breaks relationships based upon these numbers Exact text of any error message(s) that appeared:None Any additional configuration information/troubleshooting that is relevant to the issue:I have included everything within one easy file.  This fp7 was newly created after I identified the issue in other files. Any workarounds that you have found:None In the attached zip, an Excel Tests.doc explains the testing process and any observed patterns of the results.  The New Microsoft Excel Worksheet.xls was newly created and I manually typed the serial and numbers into the fields.  No formatting whatsoever was applied to this worksheet. This is very serious break.  Our account numbers will not relate.  I’ve been reading posts of people saying they were having problems with relationships based upon numbers and most of the posts never found a resolution to their issue.  This very-well could have been what was happening to them as well.  This error will also make summaries off.  It must be fixed immediately. Neither of the FMI techs I spoke with had heard of this issue even after reviewing the file.  I have opened a case #100623-000214.  Also, I had searched at great length for floating decimal issues or Excel number or decimal issues on Knowledge Base and could find nothing.  No real surprise, unfortunately.

Outcomes