Summary

Idle or disconnected clients are not clearing from FMS Admin Console

Product

FileMaker Server

Version

Operating system version

Windows Server 2008 SP1

Description of the issue

With the maximum idle time set at 15 minutes, idle FMP clients and disconnected FMP clients are not being removed from the FMSA Admin Console. The sessions do not seem to be closing when disconnected.

Configuration information

Java RT version 1.6.0_24.

• 1. Re: Idle or disconnected clients are not clearing from FMS Admin Console
          user15307

Fred Marker,

Thank you for posting.  I apologize for the late response.

It would help to have some additional details about your environment.  Have you observed anything these clients have in common, or is this randomly occurring?

Are there any startup scripts being used for the clients that aren't clearing the Admin Console?  If so, what is being done by them?

For what period of time have you observed this behavior? 

I notice you have the latest update for FileMaker Server 11 installed (and along with it, for Java), but you have SP1 noted for your Windows Server 2008. Is that an oversight on your part?

I realize it has been a month since you posted; if you have discovered a solution to the issue, please post it here so others may benefit.

Thank you,

TSTuatara

FileMaker, Inc.

• 2. Re: Idle or disconnected clients are not clearing from FMS Admin Console
            fmarker

I restarted the FileMaker Server and the problem seemed to have been resolved.  However, it now has reappeared.

There are over 200 users who log in and out of over 75 applications every day so it difficult to trace a specific application, workstation or user.  Not all user sessions, obviously, do not disconnect properly.

Windows 2008 Server SP 1 is correct.

Fred

• 3. Re: Idle or disconnected clients are not clearing from FMS Admin Console
              user15307

Fred Marker,

Thanks for the additional information. In order to rule-out possible causes, I do need more detail about the situation.  

What alerted you to the problem in the first place:

Did you get errors on the client side when attempts were made to access files?  

Were there any messages generated on the server regarding connections? Can you identify a point in time associated with the onset of the problem?  

Have you recently upgraded either the FileMaker Server or other software on the server (including the OS)?

Do you have any scripts scheduled to run during the day on the FileMaker Server? If so, are they performing as expected?

Are the "75 applications" used everyday all FileMaker solutions, or is the server not dedicated to FileMaker Services alone?

Are the 200+ users on the local network or a mix of local and remote? Are you utilising Instant Web Publishing in any of your solutions? 

Additional details you can provide will assist in replicating the conditions under which this is happening, and to the extent possible, the issue itself.

TSTuatara

FileMaker, Inc.