IE 11 Unsupported Browser Error Web Direct 13

Product

FileMaker Server

Version

13v4

Operating system version

Windows Server 2008 R2 SP1

Description of the issue

Attempting to access the FileMaker Web Direct intranet server using IE 11. A message appears in the browser stating unsupported browser.

Steps to reproduce the problem

Open IE 11
      Type in the intranet address in the address bar to the FM13 server.
      Receive the error message in the browser.

Exact text of any error message(s) that appear

The web browser you are using is too old or not supported. Please use a supported web browser.

Configuration information

FileMaker Server 13v4
      Java Server: Java 7 Update 51 (64-bit)
      Server Hardware: 4-core Intel Xeon E5-2630 v2 @ 2.60Ghz, 8 GB of RAM. 5 Web Direct Users max.

Workaround

Tried to use compatibility mode but received the same message.

• 1. Re: IE 11 Unsupported Browser Error Web Direct 13
          TSGal

wkparkjoe:

Thank you for your post.

Microsoft Internet Explorer 10 and 11 are compatible with Web Direct.  After launching Internet Explorer, click Help in the menu bar and select About Internet Explorer.  This provides information about the complete version number and will help me better diagnose possible issues.

Please also update Java to the latest update.

TSGal
               FileMaker, Inc.

• 2. Re: IE 11 Unsupported Browser Error Web Direct 13
            wkparkjoe

Hi TSGal:

The exact version number of IE is: 11.0.9600.17239 Update Versions: 11.0.11 (KB2976627)

I discovered something. If I use the intranet (host) in the address bar it gives me that error. But if I use the FQDN it works. So my host is filemaker.company.local (internal Active Directory TLD is .local). So if I just do http://filemaker I get that error message but if I do http://filemaker.company.local it goes through. Is this a setting problem in IE11?

Now in Firefox, if I do http://filemaker it works no problem. I haven't tested chrome because I don't leverage chrome in my company.

• 3. Re: IE 11 Unsupported Browser Error Web Direct 13
              TSGal

wkparkjoe:

Thank you for the additional information.

Try entering:

http://filemaker/

That is, put a slash after "filemaker".  I've seen this work at times for Internet Explorer.

Our company also has a local intranet site, accessible by all browsers.  Since your site works with Chrome but not with Internet Explorer, check the intranet settings within Internet Explorer.  I have Internet Explorer 10 installed, so I'm hoping these same steps apply for version 11.

In Internet Explorer, go to your local intranet web site.  Click the Tools button, and then click Internet Options.  Click the Security tab, and then click Local intranet.  Click Sites, click Advanced, and the web site should be shown in the Add this website to the zone field.  Click Add.  Assuming the site is not a secure site (HTTPS), clear the "Require server verification (https:) for all sites in this zone" checkbox.

Continue to keep me updated with any progress.

TSGal
                   FileMaker, Inc.

• 4. Re: IE 11 Unsupported Browser Error Web Direct 13
                wkparkjoe

Hi TSGal:

So I tried your suggestions with the same results. Attached is a screen shot that shows exactly my address (internal DNS of course) and the screen. Again this only applies with IE 11 and not Firefox (don't use Chrome in house). It's not a big deal to use the FQDN but staff are used to using the host name for intranet sites (habit). It's very strange that it only affects IE 11 when using host name only to access the FM server.

• 5. Re: IE 11 Unsupported Browser Error Web Direct 13
                  wkparkjoe

And here's the screen shot for when I use the FQDN.

• 6. Re: IE 11 Unsupported Browser Error Web Direct 13
                    TSGal

wkparkjpe:

Thank you for verifying the settings and the screen shots.  I have forwarded all of your post information to our Development and Testing departments for review.  When I receive any feedback, I will let you know.

TSGal
                         FileMaker, Inc.

• 7. Re: IE 11 Unsupported Browser Error Web Direct 13
                      TSGal

wkparkjpe:

TSFalcon (one of our other online support technicians) asked if Compatibility Mode was enabled?  If so, temporarily turn it off, relaunch Internet Explorer and try again.

TSGal
                      FileMaker, Inc.

• 8. Re: IE 11 Unsupported Browser Error Web Direct 13
                        wkparkjoe

Hi TSGal,

Sorry for the delay in my response. Interestingly when I unchecked the options it worked. See the attached screen capture. Amazing. Now the question is how do I force IE to not use compatibility mode for the filemaker server? Thanks for all the advice in resolving this issue.

• 9. Re: IE 11 Unsupported Browser Error Web Direct 13
                          Doug Staubach

Hi - same issue here (started happening after the v4 update).

We saw the same behavior with MS Internet Explorer 10 and 11 (upgrading browser doesn't help).

Disabling "compatibility view" in the browser fixes the problem, but that is a manual process (has to be done for each/every workstation) -- is there some way to get FileMaker to work without having to change Internet Explorer's default setting ("Display intranet sites in Compatibility View")?

Thanks

• 10. Re: IE 11 Unsupported Browser Error Web Direct 13
                            TSGal

Doug Staubach:

At this time, disabling "compatibility view" must be done manually.

TSGal
                            FileMaker, Inc.

• 11. Re: IE 11 Unsupported Browser Error Web Direct 13
                              Doug Staubach

Hi TSGal:

FYI, this problem can be fixed at the server -- I have fixed this issue on my FileMaker WebDirect server (confirmed and tested), and you don't have to change any browser-level settings. -- FM Support could apply the same fix to the base product.

Solution: Add the following META tag at the top of the webpage, in the HEADER section:

<meta http-equiv="X-UA-Compatible" content="IE=EDGE; chrome=1">

For those people who are interested in implementing this solution right away, you can refer them to my earlier post on how to customize the WebDirect home page (Custom Webdirect Home Page).

Best wishes,
                              Doug

• 12. Re: IE 11 Unsupported Browser Error Web Direct 13
                                fitch

The compatibility setting did not resolve the issue for me.

IE11, Win7

• 13. Re: IE 11 Unsupported Browser Error Web Direct 13
                                  user24968

Hi all,

Same issue here - confirmed compatibility mode is turned off. It only affects some of our users. Looking at the logs I can see that the browser is presenting the correct user agent:

InformationClient "[WebDirect-E4200] (12.34.56.78) [12.34.56.78]" opening database "myDB" as "userID".
                                  Server AccessInformationClient "[WebDirect-E4200]" opening a connection from "12.34.56.78 (12.34.56.78)" using "Win IE 11.0 [fmwebdirect]".
                                  Server AccessInformationClient "[WebDirect-E4200] (12.34.56.78) [12.34.56.78]" opening database "myDB" as "userID".

(changed the IP and user/db name obvs).

The user this refers to got the Unsupported Browser error message.

Any ideas? Anyone? Bueller? :-)

Cheers

John

• 14. Re: IE 11 Unsupported Browser Error Web Direct 13
                                    TSGal

user24968:

Do you notice any differences between the users who are working from those who aren't?  For those users who aren't working, are they able to connect using Chrome?

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.