IE 9 Crashes when trying to print anything displayed through WebDirect

Product

FileMaker Server

Version

13.x.x

Operating system version

Windows 7

Description of the issue

I know you can't script print functions inside of FileMaker if wanting to use it with WebDirect, however should I be able to print a text/numerical report that is being viewed by using the File>Print command in Internet Explorer or other browsers to print what is being viewed?  IE 9 seems to crash every time I try to print from IE itself.  Doesn't matter what printer I select.

1. I just want to verify if this is unsupported or am I missing something? 

Is FMI working on being able to print reliably from WebDirect?  I am working on multiple FMP/WD solutions for an eight hospital group and I need to be able to print from a web solution. There are a number of individuals that only need to view/print final reports.  They are not involved in the creation of these reports and it is not cost effective to buy a FMP license for each machine if they are only accessing a report once a week/month.

Steps to reproduce the problem

Hit control P or select Print from the IE File menu. I have tried this with multiple printer/print drivers.  PDF print drivers, and even to a file.

Expected result

That IE would print the report that is being viewed.

Actual result

Print dialogue window appeares and then I get a message The IE has stoped working and needs to close or IE crashes with a dialogue box stating it unexpectedly quit and needs to be restarted.

Exact text of any error message(s) that appear

I get a message The IE has stopped working and needs to close or IE crashes with a dialogue box stating it unexpectedly quit and needs to be restarted.

Configuration information

Tried this from 3 different Windows 7, IE 9 and IE 10 systems and from Chrome 27x from one of these systems.

Workaround

Not Found

Error_Printing_from_IE.png

• 1. Re: IE 9 Crashes when trying to print anything displayed through WebDirect
          TSGal

DSKatSCL:

Thank you for your post.

Even from the screen shots, it is difficult to determine why your print job is failing.

Instead of going to a printer, select PDF.  If this works, then I can focus on the network.  If this fails, then I can focus on the layout.

TSGal
               FileMaker, Inc.

• 2. Re: IE 9 Crashes when trying to print anything displayed through WebDirect
            DSKatSCL

TSGal,  Thanks for the quick response.  I have tried it to mupliple printers, to both Adobe's PDF print driver, and Cute PDF, and as Print to File from the print dialogue box.  I have also tried it from other layouts in this solution as well as two other completely unrelated FMP database solutions and they ALL fail when printing WebDirect solutions from IE and Chrome.

• 3. Re: IE 9 Crashes when trying to print anything displayed through WebDirect
              TSGal

DSKatSCL:

Thank you for the additional information.

Open the FMServer_Sample.fmp12 file, and try printing to PDF.  Using Windows 7, I just performed this under both Chrome 34 and Internet Explorer 10.

TSGal
                   FileMaker, Inc.

• 4. Re: IE 9 Crashes when trying to print anything displayed through WebDirect
                DSKatSCL

TSGal:

It works fine as long as you do not make any print setup changes. My solution also works if no print setup changes are made.  Try to set your printout to landscape and print to the PDF.  The Sample crashes on my system if set to landscape (letter or legal size).  My layout needs to be Landscape / Legal.  Too much data to fit Portrait. 

What PDF printer are you using?

• 5. Re: IE 9 Crashes when trying to print anything displayed through WebDirect
                  TSGal

DSKatSCL:

On my Windows 7 machine, I do not see a PDF driver.  It appears to be pre-installed.  With that said, I can save the sample file as landscape to a PDF file.  See the screen shot below.

When you go to print, do you crash before you dialog box where to save the file appears?  Do you have poop-ups blocked?

If you go to a different web page, are you able to print in landscape?

Are all users having difficulty printing the sample file?  Do some users print successfully?

Instead of printing to a PDF file, are you able to print to a printer?

TSGal
                       FileMaker, Inc.

• 6. Re: IE 9 Crashes when trying to print anything displayed through WebDirect
                    philmodjunk

TSGal, did you perhaps forget that PDF's cannot be uploaded here? wink

• 7. Re: IE 9 Crashes when trying to print anything displayed through WebDirect
                      TSGal

PhilModJunk:

My apologies.  I forgot to include the screen shot of my Print dialog box for WebDirect under Windows 7; not the resulting generated PDF.  Previous post has been updated.

TSGal
                           FileMaker, Inc.

• 8. Re: IE 9 Crashes when trying to print anything displayed through WebDirect
                        DSKatSCL

To answer your questions:

On my Windows 7 machine, I do not see a PDF driver. (look in the Start Menu > Devices and Printer to see if you have on installed) It appears to be pre-installed. With that said, I can save the sample file as landscape to a PDF file. See the screen shot below. No screen shot attached. What version of Internet Explorer are you using?  IE 9 (both 32 bit and 64 bit) which this client uses and is a FMI blessed version according to the FMP spec's is what I am having issues with.  I have tried it with 2 diffent PDF drivers. Adobe's and CutePDF, same results.

When you go to print, do you crash before you dialog box where to save the file appears? Do you have poop-ups blocked?  Popup blocker doesn't seem to have any effect on this issue.  I can print in portait mode just fine. when popup blocker is either on or off.  I get the crash imediately after hitting the print button in the print dialogue box.  See the attached sceen shot of the message.

If you go to a different web page, are you able to print in landscape? All non-WebDirect web pages print fine in landscape mode.

Are all users having difficulty printing the sample file? Do some users print successfully? I have tried this on muliple windows 7 IE 9 machines with the same error occuring.  I just tried it on a win 7 IE 10 machine and it works fine.  I can't upgrade this client to IE 10, because they have other vendors they access big data repositories on a regular basis and these companies do not support anyrthing above IE 9 32 bit.  I tried it on a machine running Chrome 34.x and it only saves/prints what would fit on a normal portrait page even if you tell it to print in landscape mode.  No help for this client and the people that still have on Win XP. (separate issue).

Instead of printing to a PDF file, are you able to print to a printer? As mentioned in the first post this happens if printing to a printer or to a PDF file.  I have tried it with 3 printers, 2 different HP models and 1 Xerox model.  The 2 HPs are even on 2 different networks.  Same results/errors. It even happens if I open the print dialogue box and then click on Cancel.

• 9. Re: IE 9 Crashes when trying to print anything displayed through WebDirect
                          DSKatSCL

TSGal,

Your screen shot is of Chrome, not Internet Explorer.  Have you tried this in Internet Explorer 9, which is where my problem lies.

• 10. Re: IE 9 Crashes when trying to print anything displayed through WebDirect
                            TSGal

DSKatSCL:

In your original post under Configuration Information, you mentioned Internet Explorer and Chrome.  I rarely use Internet Explorer and Chrome (34) was available to me.  That is the reason I tested with Chrome.

I will find a machine with Internet Explorer 9 and get back to you.

Do not update to FileMaker Server 13.0v2, as support for Internet Explorer 9 has been dropped.  Only Internet Explorer 10 and 11 are supported.

Sorry for not making myself clear.  No PDF driver is listed under "Start Menu -> Devices and Printers".  That is the reason why I believe the PDF driver is somehow preinstalled on my machine.

TSGal
                                 FileMaker, Inc.

• 11. Re: IE 9 Crashes when trying to print anything displayed through WebDirect
                              DSKatSCL

In your original post under Configuration Information, you mentioned Internet Explorer and Chrome. I rarely use Internet Explorer and Chrome (34) was available to me. That is the reason I tested with Chrome.  Check your Chrome PDF and let me know if it printed everything width-wise from the sample file, or does yours cut off the right side of your screen of it is wider than normal portrait letter size.

I will find a machine with Internet Explorer 9 and get back to you. Thank you

Do not update to FileMaker Server 13.0v2, as support for Internet Explorer 9 has been dropped. Only Internet Explorer 10 and 11 are supported.

(Running Version 13.0v1 (10-22-12013), the only update to this has been the manual install of the Heartbleed fix.)

Sorry for not making myself clear. No PDF driver is listed under "Start Menu -> Devices and Printers". That is the reason why I believe the PDF driver is somehow preinstalled on my machine. Chrome has its own PDF convertion tool built in, Internet Explorer does not.  That's what through me when you said there was one pre-installed.

• 12. Re: IE 9 Crashes when trying to print anything displayed through WebDirect
                                TSGal

DSKatSCL:

PDF file looks okay.  The very edge is cut off, but that is expected..  See screen shot of PDF file below.

Found Internet Explorer 8, 10 and 11 on Windows 7.  No 9 as of yet.  I'll keep you updated.

TSGal
                                     FileMaker, Inc.

• 13. Re: IE 9 Crashes when trying to print anything displayed through WebDirect
                                  DSKatSCL

It is not just a small amount that is missing from your PDF made from Chrome.  It is about one third of the layout that does not get reproduced in the PDF.  See the screen shot and compare to your printout/PDF.  Everything inside of the green box is missing from the PDF.

• 14. Re: IE 9 Crashes when trying to print anything displayed through WebDirect
                                    TSGal

DSKatSCL:

The reason being the wide browser window.  Keep in mind that the layout has left and right anchors.  If I resize the window to be 10 inches wide and print to PDF, the right side will be included.  See the resulting screen shot below.

TSGal
                                         FileMaker, Inc.

1 2 Previous Next