5 Replies Latest reply on Apr 11, 2012 3:02 PM by rmanook

Import broken, unsupported format with dbase file with non standard extension (*.env)

philmee95

Summary

Import broken, unsupported format with dbase file with non standard extension (*.env)

Product

FileMaker Pro

Version

Operating system version

Windows, will trya mac later

Description of the issue

Try to impport a file with non supported extension, but supported type. The file is text and is exported as an industry standard to automotive bodyshops. The exported file is called EMS extract. Importing this file works fine in Filemaker up to this latest version.

There should not be filters like this built into filemaker. It is a text file. We process hundreds of records a day and can't go rename 20 files for each "record" that we export as 20 files are exported as a result of EMS extract which is an automobile collision standard. We have many programs that use it to exchange data (ccc pathways, mitchell ultramate and insurance company reporting and data exchnage apps).

http://ccc.cccis.com/pages/ccc_autoverse__repair_management/67.php
      CIECA standard Estimate Management Standard

dbase is listed as supported in fmp 11
      http://www.filemaker.com/11help/html/import_export.16.24.html

Steps to reproduce the problem

rename a dbase file with any random extension like "env" and try to import.

Expected result

the file should be imported like dbase as it contains text, not binary.

Actual result

"the file could not be translated using the selected file type."

Failure.

Exact text of any error message(s) that appear

"the file could not be translated using the selected file type."

Configuration information

win7 64, win7 32, win xp

Workaround

use filemaker 11 advanced server and pro and advanced for now.

• 1. Re: Import broken, unsupported format with dbase file with non standard extension (*.env)
          philmee95

renaming a text file with entension ".blarf" works as expected. it is imported correctly as text.

Is dbase support gone? renaiming *.env to *.dbf and the import works. However, this will break every other program we use. We also spring board off this import to import the other files the EMS extract produces with other whacky extensions. We have a "lin" a "ad1", and "ad2" a "pfh", a "dbt", a "pfm", a "pfp" and the list goes on.

• 2. Re: Import broken, unsupported format with dbase file with non standard extension (*.env)
            steveromig

philmee95 -

Thank you for your message.

Yes, DBF is still a supported file format for FileMaker Pro 12.

I attempted to reproduce your issue using FileMaker Pro 12 under Windows 7 and was unable to do so.  Here are the steps that I performed - let me know if I missed anything.

1.  I created a file in FileMaker Pro 12 with three fields.
            2.  I added a few records
            3.  I exported the database out as a DBF file
            4.  At the OS level, I changed the extension of the file from DBF to ENV
            5.  In my FileMaker Pro file, I went FILE > IMPORT RECORDS > FILE
            6.  I left FILES OF TYPE as "All Files" and selected the ENV file I created.
            7.  It imported with no trouble.

What is confusing is your statement that it is a text file.  A DBF file is not a text file.  If you attempt to view a DBF file in a text editor it displays as garbled text.  So, are you sure the files you are receiving are in a DBF format or could they be in another file format?  As far as text file formats FileMaker Pro 12 supports - it supports CSV and TAB text files.  Could the files you are receiving be in one of those file formats?

TSShark
            FileMaker, Inc. 

• 3. Re: Import broken, unsupported format with dbase file with non standard extension (*.env)
              philmee95

Exporting from filemaker, then importing again worked. Changing the name of the FMP exported file worked as well for me. When I open the FMP generated dbf file and the brand-x (what we believe to be) dbf file the windings are different (in picture attached). Excel opens the file fine, as does filemaker 11.

• 4. Re: Import broken, unsupported format with dbase file with non standard extension (*.env)
                philmee95

According to a dbf header reader program I found it is a dbase 3 file. (http://www.quantdec.com/SYSEN597/software/dbfexe.htm)

File 294.env
                Signature: 03
                Date:      1/24/112
                # Records: 1
                Reclen:    231
                EST_SYSTEM C   1  0    1
                SW_VERSION C  10  0    2
                DB_VERSION C  12  0   12
                DB_DATE    D   8  0   24
                UNQFILE_ID C   8  0   32
                RO_ID      C   8  0   40
                ESTFILE_ID C  38  0   48
                SUPP_NO    C   3  0   86
                EST_CTRY   C   3  0   89
                TOP_SECRET C  80  0   92
                H_TRANS_ID C   9  0  172
                H_CTRL_NO  C   9  0  181
                TRANS_TYPE C   1  0  190
                STATUS     L   1  0  191
                CREATE_DT  D   8  0  192
                CREATE_TM  C   6  0  200
                TRANSMT_DT D   8  0  206
                TRANSMT_TM C   6  0  214
                INCL_ADMIN L   1  0  220
                INCL_VEH   L   1  0  221
                INCL_EST   L   1  0  222
                INCL_PROFL L   1  0  223
                INCL_TOTAL L   1  0  224
                INCL_VENDR L   1  0  225
                EMS_VER    C   5  0  226

results from the exported filemaker dbf file are as follows:

File testdata.dbf
                Signature: 03
                Date:      4/11/12
                # Records: 3
                Reclen:    9
                FIELD      C   6  0    1
                FIELD_COPY C   1  0    7
                FIELD_COPY C   1  0    8

• 5. Re: Import broken, unsupported format with dbase file with non standard extension (*.env)
                  rmanook

Hi philmee95,

Thanks for the update.

Is it possible to have you send in a copy of your dbase 3 file since both yours and our testing with an exported dbase file hasn't reproduced the same issue?

I have sent you a private message with information about where you can send the file.  You can check this message by clicking on the Inbox link in the upper right corner of the forums.

Thanks,
                  tsturtle
                  FileMaker, Inc.