Summary

Import limit?

Product

FileMaker Pro

Version

Operating system version

Mac OS 10.6.8

Description of the issue

When I ask Filemaker to open a .xls file, I will only get 255 records, where the excel file has substantially more data than that. Is there a limit?

Steps to reproduce the problem

Open Filemaker 10
      Browse files
      Click on button to show excel files
      select .xls file
      Open.
      See (very briefly) progress bar
      File opens with 255 records. .xls file has 6650 lines

Expected result

6650 records

Actual result

255 records

Exact text of any error message(s) that appear

no message

Workaround

save .xls file as tab delimited.
      Open in BBEdit and verify contents.
      Save as tab delimited.
      Open in Filemaker
      all records present.

• 1. Re: Import limit?
          TSGal

Sarah Southgate:

Thank you for your post.

I am unable to replicate the problem.  i have an Excel (12.3.2) spreadsheet with two columns and 5,000 rows, and I saved it as both a .xls file and a .xlsx file.  I then launched FileMaker Pro 10.0v3, created a new database file with two fields, imported the .xls file, and all 5,000 records were added.  I also imported the xlsx file without any issues.

What version of Excel are you using?

TSGal
          FileMaker, Inc.

• 2. Re: Import limit?
            philmodjunk

Hmmm, by any chance were you importing with one of the "update" options and had a found set of 255 records?

• 3. Re: Import limit?
              sts1956

Thanks for your thoughts! As far as I know, I am not using an update option. I tried to open this file again and have gotten the same result. I did try creating a FM database with 7 fields and importing the .xls file, but I still only get 255. Well, 256 if you count the one FM always adds.

My current thought is that there is some special character or something that is  causing the file to stop at 255. This has happened with two files; both from the same client. Curious and Curiouser. . . 

FM 10.0v3, Excel for Mac 2011 v. 14.1.14

• 4. Re: Import limit?
                TSGal

Sarah Southgate:

I noticed in your original workaround, that you opened the file in BBEdit to see if the data was there, and then it isn't clear if you saved it again.  Therefore, try saving the file as tab-delimited, and then directly import that file into FileMaker Pro.  Does this work?

Since you are using Excel Mac 2011 v 14.1.14, try saving as an Excel Worksheet (.xlsx), and then try to import the .xlsx file into FileMaker Pro.  Does this work?

TSGal
                FileMaker, Inc.