8 Replies Latest reply on Aug 18, 2009 1:51 PM by TSGal

Import mapping bug

LaRetta_1

Summary

Import mapping bug

Description of the issue

• 1. Re: Import mapping bug
          mrvodka
             Very annoying and I must say dangerous issue that has escaped FMI's list of fixes for years...
          • 2. Re: Import mapping bug
            comment_1
               I agree.

I can sympathize - to some extent - with the issues caused by changing the structure on the source side. After all, the source could be an external file, even a text file - and it may not be easy to assign some sort of ID to its fields.

However, this does in no way apply to the target side, and I can see no excuse for Filemaker spontaneously enabling a target field for import.<!-- POLLS --><!-- FILES --><!-- SIGNATURE -->

• 3. Re: Import mapping bug
              LaRetta_1

H

• 4. Re: Import mapping bug
                TSGal

LaRetta:

Thank you for the posts.

I can definitely duplicate the problem, and I have forwarded your posts and file (from FMForums) to our Development and Software Quality Assurance (Testing) departments for confirmation.

I definitely see the seriousness of this issue.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc. 

• 5. Re: Import mapping bug
                  mrvodka
                     Thank you TSGal... I really do hope that the Import issues are addressed. It really does lead to dangerous cirumstances...
                  • 6. Re: Import mapping bug
                    dirving

Hi TSGal,

I was wondering if any progress had been made on this issue yet. This happens to me about 95% of the time that I edit the fields in my data imports and it causes a hair-pulling level of frustration. I was also wondering if the fix will be applied to older versions of the software (Using FM Pro 7 here)

Thanks,
                    David

• 7. Re: Import mapping bug
                      mrvodka
                         IMHO, we would be extremely lucky to even get it in FM10. For the most part, FMI does not go back to older versions of their software and fix bugs. Considering that version 7 is no longer officially supported, you will not see an fix update for that version even if they do end up fixing it eventually.
                      • 8. Re: Import mapping bug
                        TSGal

dirving:

The problem has been confirmed, and no other information is available.

The reply from "mr_vodka" is correct.  That is, we only fix problems in the current version and not revisit previous versions.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.