Import pic of .pdf rotated in portal

Product

FileMaker Pro

Version

FMP12

Operating system version

OS X

Description of the issue

When importing a .pdf as a pic into a container field in a portal dsiplaying 2 rows, the resulting image displays rotated 90 degrees. The image displays correctly when not in the portal.

Workaround

None found so far.

• 1. Re: Import pic of .pdf rotated in portal
          philmodjunk

Is this always the case with any PDF that you insert in this field?

Is there any possibility that the portal row container field was accidentally rotated 90 degrees?  (There's an option in the Arrange menu that can do this.)

• 2. Re: Import pic of .pdf rotated in portal
            DataWizard

It appears to just be documents created with their scanner. A .pdf report generated from another program appears to insert and display correctly.

The ,pdfs created with their scanner open correctly in Adobe Acrobat.

I copied portals and fields that were displaying correctly, changed the portal link and field to my desired links, and the .pdf was still rotated.

Thank you.

• 3. Re: Import pic of .pdf rotated in portal
              TSGal

Sheila Kliewer:

Thank you for your posts.

Since the file opens in Adobe Acrobat, try saving it from Adobe Acrobat to a new file (to not overwrite the original file).  Then, insert the new file into the Container field.  Does this work?

What scanner and software is being used to create the PDF's?

TSGal
                   FileMaker, Inc.

• 4. Re: Import pic of .pdf rotated in portal
                philmodjunk

And how is the PDF being inserted into the container field?

We've had previous reports of some image files showing up with a different rotation--apparently due to differences in how the image data shows that it should be rotated and I can't help wondering if Insert Picture or Drag and Drop was used instead of Insert PDF in order to insert the file into the container field...

• 5. Re: Import pic of .pdf rotated in portal
                  DataWizard

TSGal, saving from Adobe into a new file works correctly. I don't think the client will like an extra step.

I have contacted the client about his scanner and software.

PhilModJunk, I've tried both drag and drop, and Insert Picture script step with the same rotation result.

S

• 6. Re: Import pic of .pdf rotated in portal
                    TSGal

Sheila Kliewer:

It sounds like there is something in the PDF file that isn't being written properly.  Instead of saving it to a new file, what occurs if you open the file in Adobe Acrobat and then save it without changing the file name so it overwrites the original file?  Does this work?  Although not the ideal solution, it would make the process slightly easier.

TSGal
                         FileMaker, Inc.

• 7. Re: Import pic of .pdf rotated in portal
                      DataWizard

Thanks.I really don't want to add any extra steps to their process. I think my workaround of displaying the full document without the portal where needed will be just fine. They are not really trying to view the docs in the portal' that's just the data entry point. It's just strange.

BTW, this is the first time I've used this forum and am happy to have found a new resource to research the odd FMP things that happen from time to time!

• 8. Re: Import pic of .pdf rotated in portal
                        philmodjunk

PhilModJunk, I've tried both drag and drop, and Insert Picture script step with the same rotation result.

My point was that BOTH drag and drop and Insert Picture use the same method to insert the file. What I am asking is what do you get if you use Insert PDF to insert the file instead of Insert Picture? Does it make a difference?

And you should try TSGal's suggestion anyway. She's asking that as a diagnostic test to help better understand why you are getting this result so it would be helpful to know if that works even if that's not a practical work around for your clients.

• 9. Re: Import pic of .pdf rotated in portal
                          DataWizard

Insert .pdf is not available, grayed out. If I use it in a script, nothing happens.

When I double click the document on the desktop, the Adobe preview on the mac does not give me the option to save to overwrite the original file, just save as, which I already determined works.

The client is using their copy machine to scan these .pdfs to their computers — it's a Kyocera Copystar CS300ci

Thank you.

• 10. Re: Import pic of .pdf rotated in portal
                            philmodjunk

Try selecting the container field (It can't be in a portal) while in layout mode and use Data formatting options from the inspector to "optimize for interactive content". Then Insert PDF should work if that particular layout is the current layout.

• 11. Re: Import pic of .pdf rotated in portal
                              DataWizard

Ok. Did that. I was able to then use the insert .pdf option. Yes, it displays correctly in the non-portal field. However, in the portal field the document is still displayed rotated. 

• 12. Re: Import pic of .pdf rotated in portal
                                philmodjunk

Yep, this is a known limitation of fields optimized for interactive content--the optimization doesn't work when the field is in a portal. But the fact that Insert PDF works should provide the TS folks with a useful clue and may be something that you can take advantage of with your database solution.