Summary

Import value list, delete, recreate as custom value does not work

Product

FileMaker Pro

Version

Operating system version

XP 2003, SP3

Description of the issue

I imported a value list. It worked. I realized that I really wanted the list local to create a simple runtime. I delete the list. I recreated the list with the same name as a custom list. The list never appeared on field entry. I got a "missing value list" message. I renamed the list thinking this would help - nothing - same message. I checked the field options (this is in a table). All is ok, value list is checked, field type is text as it was before. Nothing.
      In desperation, I restored the file. I did not delete the value list reference to another file, but I unchecked it and created a custom list - it worked!

Steps to reproduce the problem

Acquire value list from another file.
      Make sure it works on the field to which it is associated.
      Delete the list.
      Create a new list and assign it to the same field.
      The VL name seems irrelevant.

Expected result

Deleting a list from another file and then recreating a local custom list should work and I should not get a missing list message.

Actual result

Missing list

Exact text of any error message(s) that appear

Workaround

None except restore old file. Do not delete old value list. Check custom instead and enter list in custom box.

• 1. Re: Import value list, delete, recreate as custom value does not work
          philmodjunk

Like many parts of FileMaker, links to value lists are by an internal id number, not the name. Though your new value list had the same name as the original, it does not have the name id number. This makes it possible to change names without losing connections to them. (Changing the name of your Value list does not cause your layouts to lose the connection to it because of this ID number.)

This is expected behavior. The work around you describe is the correct way to make this type of change.

• 2. Re: Import value list, delete, recreate as custom value does not work
            Mingrl88

Dzittin,

Could you explain how you imported your value list from a previous file? I am trying to upgrade my runtimes and though I finally figured out how to make the tables all upgrade smoothly, the value lists are not upgrading likely because they are a "list" outside of my db tables. It seems you were successful though can you explain it to me? Did you use a script?

Thanks!!

• 3. Re: Import value list, delete, recreate as custom value does not work
              dzittin

With the exception of very trivial lists like "yes" and "no", I do not use static lists, my value lists are maintained as values from a tables, each with one field because my users grow these lists organically. So, for me, saving and restoring is simply an export-import record operation which makes revision updates trivial. Although it is easy to export a static list, there is no programmetic way that I know of to create a static value list programmatically, so use I use a table.

The organic growth is required because the items tracked are of different sizings, different material, etc.

In short, each time a user adds a new member to a value list, a new record is created and the user supplies the new value list member. Users even add U.S. states as needed, because they have so few (other than California) and each client's state list is unique.

The down side, is that they are obligated to use their values lists forever (formats, spelling errors and all). I warn them to take adding new values seriously and do it right the first time. So far this is working.

Requirements on U.S. states are straighforward: I tell them they will be using these to print mailing labels that the USPS has to read - don't be creative. Other user created value lists are used to generate labels for showrooms, so create a list member that you would want to see in a show room (title, size, material, etc.). These guidelines generally seem to resonate with the users and there have been no problems so far.

• 4. Re: Import value list, delete, recreate as custom value does not work
                Mingrl88

Thanks! I was afraid of that, but at least I know what to do. I appreciate the post!