Importing a databse and renaming it causes issues

Product

FileMaker Pro

Version

13.0v4

Operating system version

OSX 10.9.5

Description of the issue

When I import a database table from another fmp12 file, then rename it before proceeding, I cannot use the layout that came through with it, even after re-linking the layout to the newly named database.
      When in "Edit Layout" mode, I get "Unrelated Table" errors for all fields, and when double clicking the fields to re-link them, the old database name is still in the "Specify Field" list as an available database. When choosing the new database name there are no fields available to re-link to.
      Even creating a new layout for the newly named table does not show any of it's fields, even though the "Manage/Database.../Fields" dialog shows all expected fields.

Steps to reproduce the problem

"File/Import Records/File...".

Chose an existing fmp12 file.

Chose the table you want to import, making sure to use "New Table" as the target.

"File/Manage/Database...", then rename the database

"File/Manage/Layout...", then re-link the layout to the newly named table

Call up the layout that came in with the table

Go to edit layout and try to re-link any of the fields.

Expected result

the layout should be re-linked to the table automatically after the table was renamed

Actual result

the layout is linked to a table with the old name (which no longer exists) and the fields cannot be linked to the newly named database

Exact text of any error message(s) that appear

N/A

Configuration information

N/A

Workaround

don't rename the table

• 1. Re: Importing a databse and renaming it causes issues
          TSGal

Frank Rueter:

Thank you for your post.

I am unable to replicate the issue with FileMaker Pro 13.0v4 under Mac OS X 10.10.1 and Mac OS X 10.8.5.  I do not have a Mac OS X 10.9.5 available to me at this time.  This is what I have done:

1. In Test.fmp12, I pulled down the File menu and select Import Records -> File...    

2. I selected File.fmp12 from the Desktop, selected the "Names" table from the Source, and selected "New Table (Names)" as the Target, and clicked Import.  Four records were added, and the Names layout was active.

3. I pulled down the File menu and selected Manage -> Database...

4. I clicked the "Tables" tab, selected the "Names" table, and renamed it to "TSGal".  I clicked OK to exit.

5. I pulled down the File menu and selected Manage -> Layout...  The TSGal table was already linked to the "Names" layout.

6. I went to Browse mode, the Names layout is active with the field data from the imported (and renamed) TSGal table.

Interestingly, I imported again from the "File.fmp12" file, this time selecting the "TESTSORT" table.  After renaming the table to "Test" and immediately going to Browse mode, the layout is also automatically renamed to "Test" (not TESTSORT).

Let me know what I'm doing differently than you so I can replicate the issue.

TSGal
          FileMaker, Inc.

• 2. Re: Importing a databse and renaming it causes issues
            FrankRueter

Interesting. I did this about four times yesterday with the same results. In the end, after clearing out all tables and TOs, I started again, but this time making sure to rename the table as well as the TO and re-link the layout, and that seemed to have worked.

I will keep an eye out on this and report back with any more findings.

Cheers,

frank