3 Replies Latest reply on Jul 9, 2009 3:25 PM by TSGal

Importing DATA from Bento2 to FileMaker10

Louis

Summary

Importing DATA from Bento2 to FileMaker10

Description of the issue

The importation from Bento2 to FileMaker10 did work for a day. Then, suddenly, the files were empty except for some infos. Let's say I have 800 files with 30 fields. The result of my import would be 800 files but only 6 fields would filed with the info. How can I get back my import function? Is there some kind of filtering I didn't see? And I am quite fluent usualy with the importation. Louis

• 1. Re: Importing DATA from Bento2 to FileMaker10
          TSGal

Louis:

Thank you for your post.  I apologize for the late reply.

If you are still encountering this error, I would remove the Bento preference files.  They are located in the following folders:

Home -> Library -> Preferences -> com.filemaker.bento.plist

Home -> Library -> Preferences -> com.filemaker.bento.plugins.plist

Launch Bento.  As Bento launches, it tries to read these files, but since they don't exist, new ones are created.

Now, launch FileMaker Pro and open your database file.  Pull down the File menu and select "Import Records -> Bento Data Source...".  Select the Library you want to import, and make sure all fields are showing.  Map them to the appropriate fields and import.

Please keep me posted with any update.

Again, I apologize for the late reply. 

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc. 

• 2. Re: Importing DATA from Bento2 to FileMaker10
            Louis

TSGal:

Thank you for the suggestion.

Unfortunately, it doesn't work.

I get all the Records but only with some of the info.

I have to Export from Bento in the Excel format and then Import into FMPro.

I did try it with someone from FileMaker on the phone some weeks ago and he faced the same problem!

What else could be done?

Sincerely,

Louis

• 3. Re: Importing DATA from Bento2 to FileMaker10
              TSGal

Louis:

Sorry for the late reply.

There has been a problem recently reported that FileMaker Pro 10, under some circumstances, will not import a bento.bentodb file directly.  A file was sent in and is being reviewed by both the Bento and FileMaker Pro development teams.  No other information is available at this time.

In the mean time, use the two step process of either exporting to Excel, CSV or TSV file formats, and then use FileMaker Pro to import the Excel, CSV or TSV file.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.