2 Replies Latest reply on Sep 3, 2010 11:54 AM by philmodjunk

Importing from Excel to Contact Management Starter Solution: Email won't transfer!

BonnieRandall

Summary

Importing from Excel to Contact Management Starter Solution: Email won't transfer!

Product

FileMaker Pro

Version

Operating system version

OSX

Description of the issue

I am building a unified Contact Management Database from a bunch of Excel docs I have and have been able to import most fields into the Contact Management Starter Solution. However, the email is not loading in (the most important part!). Anyone have an idea as to why this is?

Steps to reproduce the problem

I've gone through about 5 excel documents and the same thing has happened.

• 1. Re: Importing from Excel to Contact Management Starter Solution: Email won't transfer!
          TSGal

Bonnie Randall:

Thank you for your post.

When importing the Excel file, make sure there is an arrow next to the Email field.  Otherwise, it will not import.

Here is an easy test....

1. In Excel, create a blank spreadsheet/worksheet.

2. Across the top row, enter three columns: Last Name, First Name, Email

3. In the second row, enter your last name, first name, and email address

4. Save the file as "test.xlsx"

5. Open the Contact Management file.

6. Pull down the File menu and select "Import Records -> File..."

7. Select text.xlsx, and place Last Name field next to Name_Last, First Name field next to Name_First, and Email next to Email.  Make sure there are arrows between the fields.  Click Import.

Your email field should now be displayed.

Let me know if you need clarification for any of the above steps.

TSGal
          FileMaker, Inc.

• 2. Re: Importing from Excel to Contact Management Starter Solution: Email won't transfer!
            philmodjunk

Also, make sure you enable the auto-enter option so each imported contact is assigned a unique serial number during import. Otherwise you won't be able to use the notes feature.