4 Replies Latest reply on Oct 28, 2008 11:15 AM by HCPR

Inactive Text Boxes

HCPR

Summary

Inactive Text Boxes

Description of the issue

I'm not sure if this would be considered a bug, but hopefully this is the right message board :) I have a database that we started with a template and have modified it a lot since we first created in about 2 years ago (I think). Suddenly I can't get any new text boxes I create to accept any data.  I can make them, put them onto the page but I cannot click on them to type anything.  I've checked every setting and they look identical to all of my old functioning fields.  I think I've tried just about every do it yourself trouble shooting fix I could think of.  Did we run out of available fields? I would really appreciate any help or advice that you can offer.Thanks!

• 1. Re: Inactive Text Boxes
          TSGal

HCPR:

Thank you for your post.

When you say "new text boxes", do you mean fields?  Or, do you mean boxes?  There is a difference.  If you drag a field onto the layout and go to Browse Mode, you will be able to enter data into the field.  If you create a Box using the box tool, you will then need to use the Text tool to enter text into the box.  When you go into browse, the text and box become part of the layout, and you will be unable to change the contents unless you return to Layout mode.

Please let me know if you need clarification.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc. 

• 2. Re: Inactive Text Boxes
            HCPR

Thanks for responding so quickly :)

I meant to say fields, sorry about that. 

• 3. Re: Inactive Text Boxes
              TSGal

HCPR:

Thanks for the clarification.  I assumed as much, but I needed to be sure.

There is no limit to the number of fields you can have (limited only by disk space), so I'm not entirely sure what is happening.

Go into Manage Databases (or Define Fields - depending on your version of FileMaker Pro), and create a new field "TEXT" of type Text.  Once created, return to Browse mode.  If you have zero records, create a new record.  Then, put your cursor in the field "TEXT" and type away.  If this is working fine, then return to your previous field and see if you can enter information.  If not, make sure the field is not a Calculation, Container, or Summary field.

Any additional information you can provide will help me narrow down the possible causes.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc. 

• 4. Re: Inactive Text Boxes
                HCPR

That worked!  Yay!

Thanks so much!