1 Reply Latest reply on May 3, 2010 2:55 PM by TSGal

Incomplete List of Table Occurrences in Calculation Dialog Box

Shields

Summary

Incomplete List of Table Occurrences in Calculation Dialog Box

Description of the issue

I have a feeling I'm not going to like the answer to my question, but... I ahve a file tha tis obviously corrupted.  I ran a few different versions of recovery and Save as Compacted (not on the same copy of the file - I copied the corrupted file to a local folder so that I could try to save it as a "clean" version each time).  There were 2 problems that made me realize there was a serious issue:1) When I used the "go to Layout" command either in a script, or just attached to a button, the layout I selected from the drop-down was not the layout the script/button referenced.  It was as much as 10 layouts off.  I had to highlight the drop-down list, then arrow through the layouts until the desired layout appeared in the script/button dialog, as opposed to being selected in the drop-down.2) When trying to create a calculated field, I was unable to see all of my Table Occurrences in the drop-down above the field list.  I have a VERY large file with possibly 1,000 TO's (give or take).  The list would only show the first 300(ish).  I would close FM, open it back up, then I would see maybe 400 TO's.  Next time, maybe 200.  After running a few recovery processes, I was able to identify corrupted layouts and tables.  As a test on a backup, I deleted  the tables and the layous from the system.  (Since this was a test on a backup, I didn't care about the functionality, for the purpose of getting results.)  After a few tries on a couple backup copies, I finally removed all of the bad pieces and got a clean recovery.So I opened up the file back up (again, not live - just a backup test) and I'm still having the same 2 problems. Has anyone had this problem?  And just far up the creek am I with this one?

• 1. Re: Incomplete List of Table Occurrences in Calculation Dialog Box
          TSGal

Shields:

Thank you for your post.

The first problem has been previously reporte.  If you select a Layout beyond the 255th listed, it will select the last layout.  However, if you select a layout by number, it will work properly.

I'm not familiar with the second problem.  The fact that the number of table occurrences changes each time you launch could point to something memory related.  Are you using any plug-ins?  Do you have an old backup that was working properly?  Please also keep in mind that the Recover option will do its best to try and repair a file.  Although most of the time it will fix a file, it may not fix everything, but it should allow you to open the file so you can retrieve the data.

Any other information you can provide may be helpful in narrowing down the possible cause(s).

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.