Summary

Inconsistent button possition on dialog - Replace Field Contents

Product

FileMaker Pro

Version

Operating system version

Mac Lion

Description of the issue

Fairly minor but caused me to hit the wrong button, on dialogs the convention seems to be cancel left and OK right, on the Button Set Up -> Replace Field Contents -> Specify (lower one not target field), the 'Replace Field Contents' dialog opens but the two buttons on this dialog are the other way round.

Minor but irritating !!

• 1. Re: Inconsistent button possition on dialog - Replace Field Contents
          TSGal

John Moorhouse:

Thank you for your post.

Any time there is an option to make changes in batch to multiple records, the default is Cancel, and it is on the right side and highlighted.  You must click "Replace" to replace the data across the found set.  This is as designed.

TSGal
          FileMaker, Inc.

• 2. Re: Inconsistent button possition on dialog - Replace Field Contents
            TSGal

John Moorhouse:

Your email was forwarded to me.  Thank you.

Creating a script or button is different than using Replace Field Contents from the menu, as the latter will make immediate changes to your data.  When using Replace Field Contents in a script or button command, there is no immediate change, and default is changed from Cancel to OK so you can save the replace criteria without accidentally removing it.  The order is the same with Cancel being on the right, and the menu "Replace" and script/button "OK" on the left.  This is as designed.

TSGal
            FileMaker, Inc.

• 3. Re: Inconsistent button possition on dialog - Replace Field Contents
              JohnMoorhouse

Thank for your response, I note in your email that you say that the Order is the same, please look at the attached screen shot that shows the three dialog boxes that open when you edit a 'Replace Field Contents' script on a button,

Dialog 'Button Setup' button order [Cancel] [OK]

next dialog that opened 'Replace Field Contents' by clicking lower button on 'Button Setup', button order [OK] [Cancel] - reversed compared with the other two.

next dialog 'Specify Calculation' opened by clicking on 'Specify', button order [Cancel] [OK]

My point is not consistency between 'Replace Field Contents' from the menu when doing it live on data but consistency when working through a series of dialogs within the same wizard, I was editing a series of 10 buttons to make a numeric keypad as part for a filemaker go database and twice lost my specified calculation as when moving back up the wizard, hitting Cancel rather than OK on the 'Replace Field Contents' dialog as the buttons are physically reversed on the screen.

Regards

John

• 4. Re: Inconsistent button possition on dialog - Replace Field Contents
                TSGal

John Moorhouse:

Thanks for the clarification.  I now understand the confusion.

I will send this information to our Development and Testing departments for consideration.  I don't know if they want to change the consistency of the Replace Field Contents dialog box, so we'll wait until I receive some feedback.

TSGal
                FileMaker, Inc.